BTC/BCC fork - Blockchain or electrum wallet?

Cakelover

Jul 29, 2017
Hello,
I currently hold BTC on Blockchain.info. To my understanding this is not a true "online wallet" as I should be able to download the secret keys to my wallets (And load it in a program like Electrum).

Do I need to have a backup of my secret keys prior to this date, or can I still claim the BCC if I wait till, lets say 5th Aug?
Also, I have the impression it may be safer to use a "offline" wallet like Electrum. What is your opinion on this? I have never used this type of wallet, so I am paranoid I might lose it or somehow export the secret keys incorrectly. Of course I will be making extra backups and test these prior to transfering funds should I choose this route.

Last but not least - how are the BCC claimed after Aug 1th? As far as I understand, I will have to load my secret BTC keys in a wallet that supports BCC, hence leaving my BTC vulnerable unless I transfer these to a new wallet that is NOT on the BCC chain before trying to access my BCC?

I am sorry if this seems imcompetent but I cannot drag any conclusions from my Google searches. Hope you can help shed some light on this matter for me. Thank you in advance.

torusJKL

Nov 30, 2016
If you have the 12 or 24 word seed that you received when creating your blockchain.info wallet then there is no need for immediate action.

You will be able to use the recovery seed at any point in the future to access your BCC with a compatible client.

As for online or offline wallets.
Offline is of course more secure but it is more work on your end.

I would recommend a hardware wallet like the Ledger Nano S or the Trezor.

torusJKL

Nov 30, 2016
Electrum is one of the oldest SPV wallets. It gives you high security but you don't need to download the blockchain thus you can use Bitcoin almost instantly.

The wallet has ben forked for Bitcoin Cash as Electron Cash.

Reactions: AdrianX