BS/Core and the Ferengi Rules of Acquisition: Keeping Score

freetrader

Staff member
Dec 16, 2015
Ok, the rules of this game are simple.

Every time you see Blockstream/Core as an organization, or an employee, current investor or official member (in case of Core) of these entities comply with one of the Ferengi Rules of Acquisition, you can check here if that rule has already been met, and if not, publish the rule # and the evidence (URLs) as a comment in this thread. If the rule has no number yet (as per the rules link below), then just cite the rule and I'll include it in prose.

IF ( the satisfaction of the rule in question is a clear-cut matter )
THEN
I'll directly mark the rule as achieved (see "Achieved Rules" below)
ELSE IF ( there is some doubt in my mind )
THEN
I'll update the poll at the top of this thread, AND I'll add only mark the rule as fulfilled IF a majority have VOTED in favor of adding it to the list of "fulfilled" rules by the time the next submission arrives.
END

IF there are too many submissions, we'll poll through them one by one with a time limit of a few days, until we've emptied the submission queue.

IF you don't agree with an addition that I've made on the basis of my own "clear-cut" assessment, post in thread and we'll put the matter to a vote by poll, just like the others. As a byline, any submissions I make myself have to of course go to a vote, I can't self-approve.

Achievements will be listed together with the submitter so we can keep a little meta-score.

For reference, the current Ferengi Rules:
http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Ferengi_Rules_of_Acquisition
Archive link: http://archive.is/WgYm3

---

Submission queue status:
- 24 Feb 2017: "Expand or die" (Rule 45 / 95)

---

Achieved Rules:
<none> (because the game has only started)

Last edited:
Reactions: AdrianX

AdrianX

Aug 28, 2015
bitco.in
i need an Eli5 as I'm not sure how this is going to work. rule #31 "Never make fun of a Ferengi's mother." seems to have been violated a few times.

freetrader

Staff member
Dec 16, 2015
Ok. When it comes to negatively stated rules such as #31, an achievement can only be decided if:
- an instance of such an event is observed, and there is evidence of the offending Ferengi having been admonished by his fellow Ferengi to "Never make fun of a Ferengi's mother"
- you come across official Ferengi documents in support of the enforcement of such a rule

Either of the above would clearly indicate that the rule is to be complied with, which is good enough.

This applies, more or less, to all similar rules. Any questions, feel free to discuss. No doubt there will be. Rule 208: "Sometimes, the only thing more dangerous than a question is an answer."
rule #31 "Never make fun of a Ferengi's mother." seems to have been violated a few times
Feel free to submit the evidence, if you have a clear handle. I think the rule you pointed to might be quite difficult. Remember, evidence should be public (claiming that a Ferengi PM'd you privately is not verifiable) proof. Getting him/her to admit it publicly would be. Good luck!

Last edited:

AdrianX

Aug 28, 2015
bitco.in
for clarity is a "Ferengi" defined as someone from the: Blockstream/Core organization, an employee, current investor or official member (in case of Core)?

Would it include customers of Blockstream/Core? of miners enforcing the doctrine of Blockstream/Core, or am i missing some understanding of a "Ferengi"

freetrader

Staff member
Dec 16, 2015
Yes, included among the Ferengi in this game are:
- current Blockstream employees, officials and current investors (companies or private persons)
- current members of Core (as per any public dev / supporter lists that they published)

Customers/clients of either organization who are not part of either organization are excluded at the moment as I see no good reason to count them among the Ferengi. Usually, these are the ones exploited by Ferengi (cf. Rule 39 "Don't tell customers more than they need to know.").

To recap:

When: Ferengi
Say or Do: something that appears to be strong enough evidence of them following a certain rule
Quote it here: in a way that others can easily verify (i.e. publicly accessible facts, not rumors)

Reactions: AdrianX

freetrader

Staff member
Dec 16, 2015
On request, I'll start off by submitting an example.

Rule 52 "Never ask when you can take."

Case : Peter Todd double-spending Coinbase without asking them first.

Evidence (excerpts from Reddit thread below):

Peter Todd: "Meh, if Coinbase wants their $10 back they should ask"
Charlie Lee: "In the future, please check out our bug bounty program: https://hackerone.com/coinbase Responsibly disclosure is better than flaunting on twitter and reddit about how you managed to steal from us"

Note: it seems he managed to hang on to the money, i.e. satify Rule #1 "Once you have their money, you never give it back." But that is not the rule in question here.

I'm not going to enter this as an achievement, since it was just an illustrative example.

Insightful commentary at the time:

Last edited:

freetrader

Staff member
Dec 16, 2015
Extended the game rules with the rather obvious addition that I can't approve my own submissions, they need to be voted on.