Blockchain Alliance

sickpig

Aug 28, 2015
Hi all

what's your thoughts about this new initiative?

http://blockchainalliance.org/

quoting project home page: "A Public-Private Forum to Help Combat Criminal Activity on the Blockchain"

bold statement, isn't it?

Georg Engelmann

Sep 10, 2015
Austria
bitcoincashstandards.org
Combating criminal activity is certainly easier if several companies are working together.

I think if law enforcement would collaborate internationally (180+ countries) cybercrime could be reduced by more than 90%.

It's actually quite easy to identify criminals - they are all using tools to hide it, but everyone makes mistakes.

ladoga

Sep 17, 2015
+1 to Andreas

If it will actually protect bitcoin users, then good, but I doubt that's going to happen.

Though I don't see this as a threat. At worst it might be waste of time and money for those involved.

Last edited:

Georg Engelmann

Sep 10, 2015
Austria
bitcoincashstandards.org
All they are doing is working together to combat fraud and educating law enforcement.

This costs them almost nothing, but it could potentially prevent another BitInstant or Mt.Gox situation.

Bitcoin has seen more theft and fraud than most other industries in the past, which makes it difficult to start business relations. I don't think Andreas fully understands the risks of running a Bitcoin exchange. As far as I know his work as a Security Officer for Blockchain.info failed to address several major security issues and he was also involved in the failed business of Neo&Bee. I think he's a smart guy, but not the smartest business person.

Bitcoin exchanges have been collaborating to combat fraud and theft at least since 2011, but there's not much they can actually do without law enforcement.

Reactions: ladoga

Bagatell

Aug 28, 2015
Will they be working together to prevent regulatory capture and block the revolving doors? If we could trust these people we wouldn't need Bitcoin.

Georg Engelmann

Sep 10, 2015
Austria
bitcoincashstandards.org
I just posted this on another forum:

Policy makers and regulators didn't investigate Mark Karpeles or arrest Charlie Shrem. In a partnership you can decide what information you're giving away - if you're being investigated by them you will have to provide what they demand.

Keep your friends close, but your enemies closer.