Bitcoin maximalism - spinoff technology

Zangelbert Bingledack

Aug 29, 2015
Yes the timing is all-important precisely because the ledger is all-important and the ledger changes through time, plus people have to be ready to trade the spinoffs* on the exchanges or else a later snapshot where more people would be ready will be preferred. Basically there has to be a sense that "the timing won't get any better than this."

This is why I think we haven't seen a successful spinoff yet; it's the kind of thing that will probably have to happen under last-resort conditions to work. It's the final ace up Bitcoin's sleeve (Bitcoin = the ledger) (though arguably the real final move would be to also change the mining algorithm).

*plural because as @YarkoL mentioned above there is no principled way to distinguish which is "really Bitcoin" and which is the spinoff - they both maintain the same Bitcoin ledger; Bitcoin isn't the protocol, it's the ledger, and it can be maintained by multiple protocols at once, which both the spinoffs are.

Last edited:
Reactions: YarkoL

YarkoL

Dec 18, 2015
Tuusula
yarkol.github.io
@Zangelbert Bingledack
Spinoff as originally envisioned is an altcoin - it has a
separate genesis of its own. This is why I said that XT (and
friends) are only spinoffs "in a sense".

However, in addition to the economical reasoning behind
the idea of spinoff, it really brings the role played by
the blockchain to the fore, how it exists as an autonomous
entity apart from all implementations.

sfultong

Dec 16, 2015
I just wanted to give an update of my progress.

I'm getting close to having binaries for testnet ready to go. Actually, if someone would be willing to generate windows binaries for me, that'd be great. I asked a friend if he could do that, but I haven't heard back.

For branding and marketing for this altcoin, I've done a minor pivot. I want to call the coin "Bitcoin United", and I want to merge the bitcoin, litecoin and dogecoin ledgers (scaling by market price, of course).

Anyone willing to do testing and/or running a seed node, please let me know.

freegold

Feb 27, 2017
Wow, being new and not knowing a whole bunch about all this, I'm getting the impression that some serious stuff will happen soon with bitcoin! I'm playing catch up here, sorry :)

Reactions: freetrader

freegold

Feb 27, 2017
Also, just so we're clear, I am one of the silent now vocal masses. Some of us come to Bitcoin out of curiosity; some come to invest; a lot come for the promise of privacy; some come to develop; some come to exchange; some come to steal; some come to control; and some like me come to trade. I probably have not listed all the possibilities, yet my point is: when I read bs about getting a consensus of the masses about this protocol or that one, personally I'm baffled. But, hopefully, someone here will put out a pdf with all the finer points, both pro and con so that others who might not be quite up to speed will become enlightened.

thanks for listening :)

Reactions: priestc

freegold

Feb 27, 2017
Also, just so we're clear, I am one of the silent now vocal masses. Some of us come to Bitcoin out of curiosity; some come to invest; a lot come for the promise of privacy; some come to develop; some come to exchange; some come to steal; some come to control; and some like me come to trade. I probably have not listed all the possibilities, yet my point is: when I read bs about getting a consensus of the masses about this protocol or that one, personally I'm baffled. But, hopefully, someone here will put out a pdf with all the finer points, both pro and con so that others who might not be quite up to speed will become enlightened.

thanks for listening :)
Today, I have been informed that an important informational post of mine was summarily deleted on a bitcointalk ann for a crypto currency I'm promoting. It seems that deletion is becoming a common tool of these people who want to stifle free on topic public participation. Is this the appropriate place to discuss this issue also? BTW how do I move my conversation (s) if you don't want them here?
thanks in advance

freetrader

Staff member
Dec 16, 2015
@freegold : there's an altcoin section in this forum, I don't think anything gets deleted here unless it's quite obviously a scam or being spammed all over various threads.

I don't think there are user tools to 'move' discussion between threads - don't even know if an admin can easily do that, and personally I've never had to or been asked to.

If you don't find a section or thread for something you want to discuss, or are uncertain about posting some content ask @Bloomie, he's the friendly resident forum admin.