Bitcoin idiot needs to upgrade something

79b79aa8

Sep 22, 2015
your OS should have a basic program that allows you to find files on your disk. don't know what it's called on windows.

mwr

Aug 25, 2017
For sure. I thought you were referring to something in the wallet software.

Bloomie

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 19, 2015
He can probably also check the "last modified" timestamp of the wallet file to save himself the agony, no?

Bloomie

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 19, 2015
If it's stamped with the date you stopped using your wallet, then it probably hasn't been overwritten yet and the coins are still there.

mwr

Aug 25, 2017
Sync finally finished and showed no coins. I closed the bitcoin program, saved that wallet.dat file under a modified name, and placed another wallet.dat file that was in a "walletsaved" folder into the proper place. I then restarted the bitcoin program and It's now running, saying "Verifying blocks..."

I checked the file creation/modification dates of the two wallet.dat files and found the original "live" one had dates of August 2017, when I first started the sync. From what I read above, it's likely that there was no wallet.dat file in place on that computer so it created a new one that had (obviously) no coins. The dates on the "walletsaved" wallet.dat file (that's now in the proper place) are 2011 and 2014, so there is still hope :)

Reactions: 79b79aa8

mwr

Aug 25, 2017
The second (and final) wallet.dat file finished syncing, with Balance: 0.00 BTC and Unconfirmed: 0.00 BTC. Is that it? No more options?

rr10

Dec 31, 2017
The second (and final) wallet.dat file finished syncing, with Balance: 0.00 BTC and Unconfirmed: 0.00 BTC. Is that it? No more options?
Hello i don't speak well english, i had the same problem of yours, i had a btccore wallet few yars ago and let some btc on it, when i open the old computer and the btccore program, it says the same think of yours, wich is "out of sync" no sources available etc...

i copied the wallet.dat of it on a usb, transfer it to a new btccore that i download on a new computer but even if i delete the new wallet.dat empty and put the old one copy, when i then open the program, it CREATE automatically/change the old one (of year 2014) on a present one and change the day and put it right now .

It's like even if i replace the new by the old, when bitcoincore opens, it automatically cancel the old and replace/create by a new one, empty...

what i mean is that even if i replace the new wallet.dat by the old one (year 2104), when i open btccore, it changes automatically the date of 2014 by 2017 on this wallet, so it's empty...

if somebody could advice me it'll be very helpfull

thanks.

Last edited:

Zolin

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
I read that because of such wallets people just lost all their coins. After rebooting, all the coins are gone from the account. And so it turns out the wallet is in the profit.

Toros

Banned
Dec 17, 2017
It makes keeping money in off-line purses really frightening. I've heard of cases when coins disappeared togeather with a new update. Thet's terrible.