As a Monero supporter, should we support leaving the Bitcoin blocksize at 1MB?

Bagatell

Aug 28, 2015
By americanpegasus
Quoted in it's entirety
https://redd.it/3nfqf3
I'm wracking my brain this morning thinking about value of an asset vs. its velocity as money. Obviously the faster and easier it can be transferred, the greater its real world usage (and by extension value). As well, you might initially think that the more people that can participate in a system (theoretically) the greater the value of that system as well.

...not necessarily. Look at gold, which still carries a hefty price despite being totally unsuitable for transacting in the modern world and being a logistical nightmare to trade in large quantities. I was forced to conclude that gold only stubbornly held onto its value because until crypto that's the best that humans had. For a second example, look at fine art, a collectible with little utility that still manages to command titanic prices per unit.

So considering all that, does Bitcoin need a larger blocksize? It lacks the qualities necessary to handle worldwide consumer transaction volume (would need to be capable of confirmation times < 10 seconds) and considering the fungibility plight it faces it's a foregone conclusion that unless they made radical and socially impossible changes to bitcoin it will never be used as a consumer payment mechanism around the world.

So the way forward for them should be to stop worrying about consumer payments then and preserve their value by catering to enterprise that needs a slow, reliable, and public blockchain. For this, a 1MB blocksize actually makes sense because it preserves the value of being able to write to the blockchain. Since consumers won't be able to make use of it anyway on a worldwide scale, bitcoin might as well embrace its destiny and become a tool for large financial institutions that don't mind paying the equivalent of $3,000 in transaction fees to write something permanently to a ledger.

But if we accept this premise, where does that leave us? What will Monero's eventual destiny be? Will we become a slightly larger, private ledger that isn't suitable for worldwide commerce? We can handle about 1700 transactions a second from what I understand but even our 1 minute confirmation time is too slow still (and 1 minute blocks are already dangerously undercutting the security of the network). Will we be able to change to a proof system that allows us sub-10 second confirmation times when the time comes? Will our estimated maximum of 1700 transactions a second eventually rise as the network and computer hardware grows in strength?

Or is the future a series of blockchains starting with large, sluggish, and ultra-secure and trailing down to agile and infinitely scalable but not very trustworthy?

I ask this question here, because I'm pretty sure I know the answer I'll get on /r/bitcoin[1] already: "just wait for sidechains" and other technological denial. I've found our community to be a little more open minded and able to think critically.

Reactions: Smoothie and ladoga

Inca

Staff member
Aug 28, 2015
I hold a majority of crypto in bitcoin (99%) with a couple of thousand monero and some litecoin (pending the next pump).

I strongly support bitcoin. If bitcoin fails then so will other cryptos in all likelihood for many years. Therefore wishing bitcoin to not scale is akin to wishing death on the whole crypto economy and will only damage monero actually.

ladoga

Sep 17, 2015
I don't think we should. As much as I like Monero I'd really hate for Bitcoin to limit its utility and disappear from the payments market. More so I don't see them as direct competitors.

Bitcoin has built a good acceptance level in online payments/shopping and I use it often for that. Also I doubt that Monero could ever be accepted into mainstream payment processing due to its anonymity and untraceability.

Monero is ideal for a niche where those qualities are needed and where Bitcoin doesn't suffice. (donations, dark web or decentralized marketplaces and savings to think of few where true anonymity would be really useful)

Last edited:
Reactions: Peter R

Smoothie

Aug 28, 2015
Personally I think the "Blawk Saize Dehbait" is just a distraction from what bitcoin developers and entrepreneurs should be focusing on.

Bitcoin has a real fungibility and privacy issue. You can have your identity not linked to a bitcoin transaction or address but you can't UNLINK the address funds come and go to. Thus it is traceable.

Bitpay showed a classic example of blacklisting bitcoins from certain addresses (likely those associated with a crime).

https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/3mea6b/bitpay_is_blacklisting_certain_bitcoins_rejecting/

1MB for now works. Unless the bitcoin developers get their act together and stop all this drama, there will be no "consensus".

I don't think we should. As much as I like Monero I'd really hate for Bitcoin to limit its utility and disappear from the payments market. More so I don't see them as direct competitors.

Bitcoin has built a good acceptance level in online payments/shopping and I use it often for that. Also I doubt that Monero could ever be accepted into mainstream payment processing due to its anonymity and untraceability.

Monero is ideal for a niche where those qualities are needed and where Bitcoin doesn't suffice. (donations, dark web or decentralized marketplaces and savings to think of few where true anonymity would be really useful)

Wrong: Monero is by default UNLINKABLE and UNTRACEABLE but you have a view key which you can choose who you give it to (auditor/irs/etc) so they can see everything you are doing on monero.

So no it isn't out of the realm of possibility that monero can be used in every day commerce.

Default privacy
Optional transparency upon consent of You (the owner).

TO be clear I am all for scaling bitcoin ultimately. But do I think the time is now? Not necessarily given there is much bigger issues that bitcoin has to face. I.e. Fungibility and privacy.

Last edited:
Reactions: ladoga

ladoga

Sep 17, 2015
Bagatell said:
So considering all that, does Bitcoin need a larger blocksize? It lacks the qualities necessary to handle worldwide consumer transaction volume (would need to be capable of confirmation times < 10 seconds) and considering the fungibility plight it faces it's a foregone conclusion that unless they made radical and socially impossible changes to bitcoin it will never be used as a consumer payment mechanism around the world.
0-conf worked well in the past for instant small payments.

Double spending isn't easy as some people would like you to believe. Technical possibility should be always compared to a real life cost and I think we can safely say that 0-conf without RBF isn't an issue at all.

Have you ever heard a merchant complain about double spends? If it has happened even once (besides that stunt made by a certain Core dev) it must have gone under my radar. Compare this to frauds that go on with legacy payment methods (checks, fake cash etc.) .

[doublepost=1491650563,1491649713][/doublepost]
TO be clear I am all for scaling bitcoin ultimately. But do I think the time is now? Not necessarily given there is much bigger issues that bitcoin has to face. I.e. Fungibility and privacy.
Monero already fills this niche pretty well. To pay anonymously with BTC you can simply Monero address -> XMR.to -> BTC address.

This scaling issue is hurting Bitcoin right now. I've mostly quit using Bitcoin because of these ridicilously high fees (not uncommon to pay 2$ to get into next block). I still hold some in hopes that miners wake up and lift the blocksize limit. (I don't care which implementation they use or even if they roll their own)

Reactions: freetrader