Are you in support of blacklisting IPs as in XT?

Smoothie

Aug 28, 2015
I'm on the fence on this one as I see the initial importance of doing it but at the same time Bitcoin is still technically the wild west and to put in these measures does some times have the feel of it being "centralized".

cypherdoc

Aug 26, 2015
What you're blocking is not IP's of fellow bitcoin peers, but IP's of attacking bot nets coming through publicly listed Tor nodes. And that's only if your connections get maxed out from an attack. Then, your node just prioritizes real bitcoin peers. Sounds good to me.

sgbett

Aug 25, 2015
UK
I was initially concerned (I read the 'headline') but when I studied the actual body of work it seemed fair enough. So I refrained from switching to the 'big blocks only' tag, as it seemed to me to be a reasonable first stab at something that is a potentially desirable feature. The reality is pure freedom is just as unsustainable as pure censorship. We have to find a balance imho.

So in that regard I'm alway worried about the creeping nature of change, as cracking the door can sometimes lead to opening the floodgates - but I'm not so scared as to automatically reject anything like this for fear of what it might become. Things have to be judged on individual merit. This particular 'feature' seems to have merit.

The best rationalisation I thought was, that if it was to get hairy then what is to stop people forking XT. Evidently that is a philosophy that XT devs back and so whats good for the goose is good for the gander.

theZerg

Staff member
Aug 28, 2015
I read that it only kicks in when overloaded. In that case seems ok to me, although some non-centralized determinant would be better.

awemany

Aug 19, 2015
Well, a fancy self-learning scheme (machine learning maybe even to figure out rogue peers?) would certainly look nicer - I think it is in the category of 'good enough, given limited time to work on all things.'

It should have not blown up into this huge issue, but I guess that is simply reflecting that people doing real work are directly interacting, and not some big corp. PR departments. It creates (price) volatility and some heat, but otherwise also shows that the environment is still young and full with people who actually give a damn.