App for searching lost bitcoins

quickben

Apr 3, 2018
It's an Android app:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.quickben22.bitcoinlotto

There are tons of different stories on the internet about people losing their bitcoins, and now it is estimated that between 2 to 4 million bitcoins are lost forever.

The goal of this app is to try to find some of them. The app just generates random bitcoin private keys and checks if there are any "Lost" bitcoins on them. The app considers bitcoins lost if they have been dormant since year 2012. There are around 90,000 addresses, with around 2 million bitcoins on them, that meet that criteria, and they are added to the database that is downloaded with the app, so the app can run without being connected to the internet.
Bare in mind that the chances of guessing a bitcoin private key are much, much less than guessing a lottery ticket, but this app is free so if you are feeling lucky try it out.

Reactions: Mohd Aliff

Bitterom

Jan 20, 2018
I have no idea and knowledge about the ''Lost Bitcoins". How do you lose a Bitcoin? I know you lose money when the Cryptocurrency market crashes, but do not have any clue about actually losing a Bitcoin. I will study about them and post in this forum.

quickben

Apr 3, 2018
You lose your bitcoins if you lose a private key, which is nothing more than a "password". A very long password. Many people have lost these passwords, and this app tries to find some of them. It is obviously very hard to guess the password, but not impossible, so if you want to try your luck you can use your smartphone's cpu for searching them with this app.