Any response to the stolen coins that were donated to Bitcoin Unlimited last year?

theZerg

Staff member
Aug 28, 2015
A response was given at that time and is included in the provided history.

QQWSS

Nov 19, 2017
Seems strange that the Kraken account was hacked on 7/20 and then the coins remained in the BTC address until the same date you received a large donation last year on 8/18. Sounds like you are claiming the person who donated all those coins to you and the hacker used the same mixing service at the same time which is itself highly suspicious.

torusJKL

Nov 30, 2016
What if the address on which the BTC remained belongs to the mixing service and the donation triggered the release as part of the service for the donator?

Reactions: solex

solex

Staff member
Aug 22, 2015
A donor to Bitcoin Unlimited used a mixing service. These services are part of the Bitcoin ecosystem, and many thousands of people will have coins that have been through mixers at one time or another. Trying to unpick these would break Bitcoin's fungibility, as no one can be sure of the history of coins they receive.
At the time correspondence was undertaken with both the Kraken client and Kraken itself, and the matter concluded.

QQWSS

Nov 19, 2017
What if the address on which the BTC remained belongs to the mixing service and the donation triggered the release as part of the service for the donator?
There is no evidence of the address belonging to a mixing service. The hacker created the address to withdraw my coins into, where they remained until the day they were donated to BU. Some were sent elsewhere but I have provided clear proof of some coins being donated to Bitcoin Unlimited.
[doublepost=1511200043][/doublepost]
It makes sense to mix your coins if you have stolen them. It also makes sense to mix coins before an anonymous donation.
It also makes sense to claim a mixer was used in the first place so BU can try to get away from returning stolen funds that they received.

Norway

Sep 29, 2015
@QQWSS
The scenario where someone steals funds and donate them to a public donation address is not realistic. It's more likely that you are trying to attack Bitcoin Unlimited. But it's probably just a mixer.

QQWSS

Nov 19, 2017
No one is trying to attach Bitcoin Unlimited. I could care less about attacking them. All I want is my coins back. It could be the hacker made this donation without using a mixer to try and attack BU or they did not intend to but the mixer didn't function as it was supposed to and left a clear trace to BU. Could be any scenario but there is proof that coins were taken from me and wound up at BU. I have proof showing my Kraken account was compromised and the coins were later donated. I don't know motivation of why this would be done, maybe it was unintentional and the person who made the donation is the hacker himself and screwed up by leaving a clear trace to BU.
I will chase down the other outputs, but for now I would appreciate BU returning my coins as I have provided evidence of my account being compromised and coins being "donated".

torusJKL

Nov 30, 2016
or they did not intend to but the mixer didn't function as it was supposed to and left a clear trace to BU
The mixer cannot create "clean" coins. Sooner or later your coins will end up on someones address and you will always be able to "track" them to that receiving address. (in case of BU it was easy because the donation address is public)

But as already written in an earlier response to you, if the coins would be given back to you than it could be that the donor will be robbed of the coins that he intended to donate to BU.

for now I would appreciate BU returning my coins as I have provided evidence of my account being compromised and coins being "donated".
The only course of action for you is to locate the thief (by yourself or with the help of the authorities) and request that he'll return the number of BTC he stole.

sickpig

Aug 28, 2015
I'm really sorry about what happened to you, being the target of a electronic "burglary" is always a pain.

But, like @solex said, bitcoin's fungibility is at stake here.

What if your employer paid your last ten years of work using stolen (tainted) USD money? Would you agree to return all what you earn back?

The liabilities can't be on the last step of the chain by definition.

For more context:

https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=2260952
http://themonetaryfuture.blogspot.it/2014/01/what-landmark-legal-case-from-mid-1700s.html

Windowly

Dec 10, 2015
This is another reason why we need to build more tools to increase Bitcoin's fungibility.