### Announcing next BU Vote: May 29th ###

solex

Staff member
Aug 22, 2015
Bitcoin Unlimited members are advised that the next vote on BUIPs will be open for 5 calendar days in the window May 29 - June 2, 2017.

The close-off date for new BUIPs is May 15 to allow the minimum two-week period for membership debate.
Proposers of exisiting draft BUIPs are welcome to advise that their BUIP is ready for membership vote.

The BUIPs for vote will comprise:
  • Development and/or Operational BUIPs
  • New Members BUIP
Note: a bespoke vote recording and counting system will be used for the first time. More on this in the next post. A "### VOTE ###" thread will be created on May 29th however, this will redirect members to the voting page on the website. The vote thread will only be for Q&A and comments about the vote process.

-----BEGIN BITCOIN SIGNED MESSAGE-----
VOTING FOR SELECTED BUIPS IS SET FOR MAY 29 TO JUNE 2 2017
-----BEGIN BITCOIN SIGNATURE-----
15TiujYmnHa33fjEnasBBm1eWcGx9YEXPL
H3aIWnpns45RVoULxTOcalVNOkuftuOgV1FDm+L7+WkDOMHGSiiWxTrsE7NFqAaS44rRuOdPoJibTbU8JK4vlyc=
-----END BITCOIN SIGNED MESSAGE-----

solex

Staff member
Aug 22, 2015
Reserved for info about the voting system

solex

Staff member
Aug 22, 2015
@AdrianX
I welcome feedback on this. The BUIPs which look provisionally ready for vote are those listed below, which are raised by @freetrader, @Peter R, @Tomas van der Wansem @SanchoPanza

BUIP051: (draft) Add CompactBlocks support

BUIP052: (draft) Set up dedicated Continuous Integration

BUIP053: (draft) Tweakable client DoS responses

BUIP054: (draft) Make AD optional and disabled by default

BUIP055: (draft) Increase the Block Size Limit at a Fixed Block Height

BUIP056: (draft) Increase the Block Size Limit triggered by a support threshold

BUIP057: (draft) Add BIP135 support (BIP9+)

BUIP for New Members

I would like to formalise the draft BUIP for rewarding finders of bugs which can remotely shut down nodes at will., i.e. flesh out https://bitco.in/forum/threads/buip-draft-bounties.1970/

Last edited:

AdrianX

Aug 28, 2015
bitco.in
Thanks @solex .

Can you also included the new members names in the BUIP for New Members. I'd like to see them tagged and engage as well as see them participate in discussing existing BUIPs.

The whole idea is have more open and public discussion before voting. I for one want more member to get exposure to more ideas. I'm a little disappointed to see this constant demand to become a member and then very little engagement.

What do you think of the idea of tagging all members and applicants when you announce the list like you did above?

The intention getting engagement and discussion started.

Windowly

Dec 10, 2015
BUIP049 is I think pretty good as drafted (although I welcome more discussion if people feel it's needed).

However, BUIP049 will need quite good voter participation to get it passed. Is there a time we want to schedule those kind of votes? (I believe BUIP050 is a similar kind of proposal.)

I'm willing to put them for vote now or anytime later (although it would be good to get it done before Roger Ver's and Hiayang's membership runs out which I think is sometime in December).

torusJKL

Nov 30, 2016
From what I understand there is no penalty if a BUIP is not passed and it could be brought to another vote at a later point in time.

Thus I do not see why we should not let people vote and get an idea of the general acceptance of these BUIPs are even if the chances to get a 75% of all members to vote are small.

And if votes on BUIPs like 55 and 56 do not trigger a high vote participation I do not know what could.

Last edited:
Reactions: Windowly

freetrader

Staff member
Dec 16, 2015
I submit BUIP058 (formerly known as BUIPyyy) to be included in the upcoming vote as well.

In the coming days I will try to feed the BUIPs I submitted into the new voting system, if they are not in there already.

As stated in another thread, I would like to put up BUIP038 again, but this time make it optional to disable the sticky gate. For this, I have raised BUIP059.

Last edited:

solex

Staff member
Aug 22, 2015
@torusJKL @Windowly
I did leave those out deliberately and this is why. The problem with BUIPs amending the rules is that they require a large majority to pass.

2.VI "This document can be modified via a greater than 66% majority vote on a BUIP with at least 75% of the members voting."

So, what needs to happen is a lot of prior leg-work to PM and discuss the proposal with each member and effectively canvass support for the change. This hasn't been done, and since no BUIP has come near to meeting the threshold above, then BUIPs 49&50 will very likely fail to get quorum.
We have a lot of the BUIPs to make up the current vote in any case.

My recommendation is to have a vote day where all the Articles modifying BUIPs can get voted on at once, but after work has gone in to prepare the ground for the event.

However, if you really want to proceed at the present time then I'll add them.

Reactions: Windowly

Windowly

Dec 10, 2015
@solex I'm good with waiting. (Although if there is no penalty for being voted down in one election, I wonder if an election is a good way to canvass support for the change.)

Just an idea but I wonder if we should hold off on adding new members till we get a larger percentage of the quorum voting. That way as more and more non-voters drop off the rolls every month, we'll have a greater chance of getting higher quorums on votes. Once we have a high enough quorum we can slowly add new members.

solex

Staff member
Aug 22, 2015
@torusJKL
Fair enough. We'll proceed.
If you are prepared to PM people then we should put up BUIP049 at the same time, as this can be mentioned as well.
@Windowly
Regarding expiring members, the larger group of those expired Dec/Jan time (after the anniversary of BU founding), and most that remain have voted in the last year.

Windowly

Dec 10, 2015
@solex yes let's do BUIP049 :) I'll PM members as well. :)

That is good to hear that most that remain have actually voted in the last year.

If BUIP049 and BUIP50 do fail as @torusJKL said, we'll have an idea of how the proposals should be changed to garner more support.

solex

Staff member
Aug 22, 2015
Correct, we are moving to an automated voting and counting system, however, not all members have provided BTC addresses. We have some more to add to the 1st list. The 2nd list is the complete list of members and what the 75% applies to.

Until the voting system handles other signing methods we will accept valid member votes signed by alternatives, which will need to be in the voting thread. It would be easiest if BU members used the signing facility which is in the Bitcoin client software.