### Announcing next BU Vote Dec 26th-30th ###

solex

Staff member
Aug 22, 2015
Bitcoin Unlimited members are advised that the next vote on BUIPs will be open for 5 calendar days in the window December 26th to 30th GMT, 2016.

Comprising:
  • Recent development BUIPs where the Developer has determined that community discussion is complete.
  • New Members BUIP
A "### VOTE ###" thread will be created on the 26th Dec, so no voting is done until then.

-----BEGIN BITCOIN SIGNED MESSAGE-----
VOTING FOR SELECTED BUIPS IS SET FOR DEC 26 TO DEC 30 2016
-----BEGIN BITCOIN SIGNATURE-----
15TiujYmnHa33fjEnasBBm1eWcGx9YEXPL
H8DV5xqphiGqctwmLrox0vCw+QrwVh/xbp2w0F0R+gu2AZd7QcLCtvLy9vQGRP3fMUYHmAx+g7tFK4daf8djNLo=
-----END BITCOIN SIGNED MESSAGE-----

lunar

Aug 28, 2015
Quick question on voting policy.

I noticed last time, we only narrowly reached quorum. Perhaps this is due to certain people abstaining as they feel underqualified to pass judgement on particular proposals?

Is it possible to assign a vote to another person?

Eg Lunar assigns BUIP vote XX to Lead Dev or Secretary ?

solex

Staff member
Aug 22, 2015
@lunar
I like your thinking.
Yes, there has been problems reaching quorum. There are two main reasons. First, that there was an initial burst of enthusiasm late last year with a lot of founding members. But since we have had one whole year of severe core-blockage a number of BU members have given up. I think we can sympathize with this position. It is only recently that prospects for Bitcoin onchain scaling and community-driven development has picked up.
Secondly, some members are happy to let the active members make decisions, perhaps only weighing in if it looks like BU is going off track. So basically we are trusted to make good decisions until proven otherwise.
Both lead to tight vote counts concerning quorum.

Assigning or proxy voting is something new which would need to be added to the Articles, but I suspect that we won't easily see quorum for Articles changes.

lunar

Aug 28, 2015
A year or three of Core blockage.... how time flies when you're not having fun.

Long term voter apathy is real problem. I personally feel that voluntarily keeping the votes to a bare minimum is a sign of a healthy development process. If it can be solved without a vote it should be - Competing project ideas invariably lead to winners and loosers, which can create tension in a community like this. So it's a fine balancing act.

Anyway while we have an open voting system, my point above is mute. If we ever shift to an anonymous or closed process, It might be worth considering further.

Norway

Sep 29, 2015
Ok, I've put a reminder in my calendar, ready to vote for the first time!

My signing address is:
13eS5t4WGGPSwFKRQYzCKcfWF6sfjN1Ka2

(Not sure who should have it or where to post it.)

solex

Staff member
Aug 22, 2015
Thanks @Norway
We have a spreadsheet of the members and public keys, so I will add yours to it.

Reactions: Windowly and Norway

Norway

Sep 29, 2015
@solex
Thanks. Is the spreadsheet public somewhere?
(If not, I think it should be. For instance,I can't verify the message you signed on top of this thread without your public key.)

solex

Staff member
Aug 22, 2015
My public key (btc address) is in my forum sig now :)

Reactions: Norway

solex

Staff member
Aug 22, 2015
11, as 43 members (out of 56) are within the 1-year time limit for being "active", i.e. joined or voted within the last 12 months.

Reactions: freetrader

solex

Staff member
Aug 22, 2015
Yep, BU's birthday was 17 November. A big influx of founding members occurred in Nov/Dec 2015 and not all have participated since.

Members online