10x boost of tx capacity via interleaved blocks, orthogonal with other methods and can be combined

jl777

Feb 26, 2016
Interleaving is a very old way of getting more throughput, without requiring any changes to the underlying basis.

So, using 1MB blocks every 10 minutes, interleaving can get 10x increase in capacity by having 10 interleaves in parallel.

Each interleave is a mostly independent blockchain, but we need to enforce a fixed ordering based on the interleave, regardless of when the block is solved for that interleave. This does create the situation where there is a solved block that cant be confirmed due to a prior interleave not there yet.

This provides the possibility of a rapid delivery feature, where the user can generate 10 different variants of the same tx, so each interleave gets that tx. This would confirm in each interleave, but of course only be valid in the first one that gets confirmed. So a provision needs to exist for charging extra for these redundant tx and to invalidate the ones that are in the unconfirmed later interleaves.

Miners would be able to optimize their revenues by intelligently managing their hashpower based on the state of the 10 interleaves. Also, by having different service levels that comes for free, this would create a larger txfee revenue base via the premium fees and of course from just having 10x the transaction capacity.

10x interleaving works just as well with 1MB blocks, 8MB blocks, subchains, etc.

So far nobody has pointed out any attack, please post if you see any potential attack vector.

jl777

Feb 26, 2016
In order to have a deterministic method for matching up an interleave for each tx, a simple method would be to XOR all the vin's txids and mod that result by 10.

Since it is not a security issue, just the lowest 64bits can be used for the calcs.

Instead of treating the ability to generate 10 duplicate tx, one for each interleave, by allowing this, it offers the ability to get 1 minute average time to confirm. As long as there is a way to charge a higher fee for such priority tx, it is well worth the cost of duplicated space in the interleaves.

by having 12 interleaves, it offers 1/12, 1/6, 1/4, 1/3, 1/2 priority service of 50 seconds, 100 seconds, 150 seconds, 200 seconds and 300 seconds average time to confrm and 12x, 6x, 4x, 3x, 2x fees for the average faster times for miners

Reactions: 8up

Chronos

Mar 6, 2016
www.youtube.com
The biggest challenge for any new idea is to get everyone else to agree with you. If we have trouble even to hard-fork a simple block size increase, how will we fork to something of greater complexity, such as interleaving? It seems impossible to me.

jl777

Feb 26, 2016
I can implement a demonstration so people can see it work, would that help?

Reactions: ntto

Chronos

Mar 6, 2016
www.youtube.com
It would help in the same manner as these examples:
  • "I can't reach the top of this 50-meter tree. If I jump, will that help?"
  • "I can't count to a googolplex out loud. If I count by tens, will that help?"
  • "I can't hard fork bitcoin into a new block generation scheme. If I demonstrate it, will that help?"
Yes, it will help, but it will not make it possible.

jl777

Feb 26, 2016
I am amazed that you can count to googolplex silently!
I guess I will just put the interleave demo into BTCD, ultimately we need some low value blockchains for doing the mass amount of low value transactions and by using atomic swaps between them, everything is decentralized.

Though liquidity will need to be provided externally until there is enough organic liquidity for efficient market pricing

Reactions: grewalsatinder

donald26

Feb 2, 2024
HOW YOU CAN RECOVER YOUR LOST CRYPTO/FUNDS: Lost hope in a crypto scam? I got my $394,330 back! I invested $430,000 in a bogus crypto site. Big returns promised, withdrawals blocked, extra fees demanded – it was a nightmare. Feeling trapped, I even considered the unthinkable. My family helped me through it, and my niece suggested HACKERSTEVE911. They'd helped her with grades, but I'd never thought of them for this. I contacted them, expecting little. But within four days, they recovered $394,330 back to my wallet! My hope, my life, was back. If you're in a similar situation, don't lose hope. Contact them on hackersteve911@gmail.com