Ledger, a journal about cryptocurrency and blockchain research

Criptonauta

Oct 14, 2015
Brazil
about.me
I'm very happy with the coming of Ledger. Cryptocurrency and its unfoldings are becoming more and more inter/multidisciplinary (fin/economy/dev were only the beginning), so I'm eager for reading for other articles, non-dev related but with solid content.

Ivanhoe

Aug 28, 2015
Amsterdam
So i concluded my literature research some time ago. Now i started up my field research regarding the bitcoin adoption research i talked earlier about in this topic. I based my survey on two of the biggest technology adoption models, TAM (technology adoption model) and UTAUT (unified theory of acceptance and use of technology).

I did this because there simply is no research done towards the adoption of bitcoin. So we need to start at the basics of technology adoption before we start to dive deeper into the heads of the potential future users of bitcoin. I'm already in talks with somebody who is doing the Msc. cryptocurrencies in Cyprus about expanding my current research.

I do not know if anything groundbreaking comes from my research. What i do know is that it provides a good base and gives us the numbers to back up certain claims about "perceived risk" and the "ease of use" of the technology for example for further research to be done. I will publish the raw data and my conclusions on the website of the Bitcoin Embassy Amsterdam Association (https://bitcoinembassy.nl/) when it's ready. So it will be a gift to the community and i will not make a dollar of it.

I do however need the help of you guys to make this a success. I need a lot of respondents for my survey and i feel some of you can help me create exposure for it thanks to your connections. What can i do to create as much exposure for this research as possible and reach a big amount of respondents and who is willing to help me with this? I already sent out a e-mail to bitcoin companies and embassies out there with the request for help.

I provide you with some links for more information:

Blogpost : https://bitcoinembassy.nl/adoption-research-project-survey/

Pressrelease: http://www.coindesk.com/press-releases/bitcoin-embassy-amsterdam-adoption-research-project/

Direct link to the survey: https://survey.bitcoinembassy.nl/index.php/249388

Feel free to contact me or reply in this topic.

Regards

solex

Staff member
Aug 22, 2015
I am hoping that @Peter R's paper "Reduce Orphaning Risk and Improve Zero-Confirmation Security With Subchains" is mentioned on the cover of the first issue of Ledger. @chriswilmer

Because, if so, scope exists for a stunning piece of cover-art which could spread virally through cryptocurrency and mainstream news sites for a long time to come.

The talent is here in the person of @cybrbeast who said he wasn't entirely happy with his image of Bitcoin symbols in the green matrix of 1s&0s. Maybe that image needs to have subchains building blocks instead? Can this all come together?

ben

Jan 1, 2016
How is the effort going? Are there many submissions for the first release? I appreciate the interdisciplinary approach.

Last edited:

JVWVU

Oct 10, 2015
great to see the journal. its not the "journal of bitcoin", but ok!

also interesting that it is affiliated with U.Pitt. any insights into why U.Pitt is involved Peter?

oh, i see... im just getting caught up today. and good luck Peter. not exactly something i'd like to (or have the time to) add to my plate.

the Managing editor... who really likes to be a part of the publishing process :)
"Christopher E. Wilmer is an assistant professor in the Chemical & Petroleum Engineering Department at the University of Pittsburgh. He has published 25 peer-reviewed articles (over 1500 citations) and assisted in the launching of a new chemistry journal published by De Gruyter Open (formerly Versita). He has co-authored a book on Bitcoin called “Bitcoin for the Befuddled” which is published by No Starch Press."

So is there any upcoming meetings / conventions proposed "Scaling Bitcoin" type event proposed?

This is probably the easiest place for me to get to attend one of these type events.

chriswilmer

Sep 21, 2015
How is the effort going? Are there many submissions for the first release? I appreciate the interdisciplinary approach.
Yes, we received ~40 submissions for the first issue. Many of them are currently out in peer review. I think the first issue will be a good one!

Reactions: AdrianX

Peter R

Aug 28, 2015
So is there any upcoming meetings / conventions proposed "Scaling Bitcoin" type event proposed?

This is probably the easiest place for me to get to attend one of these type events.
We've talked about conferences, but honestly we're super busy right now getting papers through peer-review for the first edition of the journal.

Maybe if we do a good job, attract more funding and recruit more help!

Reactions: AdrianX and JVWVU

AdrianX

Aug 28, 2015
bitco.in
We've talked about conferences, but honestly we're super busy right now getting papers through peer-review for the first edition of the journal.

Maybe if we do a good job, attract more funding and recruit more help!
@Peter R it seems to me your first publication (presuming it’s going to be in print) will be a collector’s item, I'm very excited for you and Bitcoin.

I think it would be a good idea to have your cover designed and promoted prior to launch and at least one event leading up to the launch prior to the actual launch date.

I also think this is a milestone in the history of Bitcoin and I feel you will have the opportunity to introduce a new calibre of audience to Bitcoin.

keep us posted :)

cypherdoc

Aug 26, 2015
what about those of us who want to subscribe now?

Peter R

Aug 28, 2015
@cypherdoc

Since the journal is open-access (free), there is no need to subscribe. However, you can register at our site as a "reader" right now. This helps us because we can then claim "we have 'X' registered readers," where 'X' being a big number is a good thing.