Gold collapsing. Bitcoin UP.

AdrianX

Aug 28, 2015
bitco.in
it's important to lift the limit now to allow newly formed organizations like this the freedom to choose how they want to apply blockchain tech:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/09/15/us-banks-blockchain-idUSKCN0RF24M20150915
In response to jgarzik Fidelity chicken and egg. Using the blockchain to store large data is not impeded by the limited block size but by the uncertainty of future cost to write that data to the network relative to the value the data represents.

A business needs to have control over the cost of the technologies it uses in its business. The abuse Core developers fear is a considerable business risk that's managed by the existing incentive scheme.

Document hashish is and has always been a fair application it's much like a receipt.

cypherdoc

Aug 26, 2015

theZerg

Staff member
Aug 28, 2015
What are your typical hosted/home bandwidth limits?
Is there a monthly limit for transmitted/received and is it << 31 days * the instantaneous bandwidth?
What happens if you go over?

Justus Ranvier

Aug 28, 2015
I wonder to what extent Core developers have become victims of a self-fulfilling prophesy.

I recall conversations with some of them in the past that expressed a belief that soon the feature set of Bitcoin would congeal, after which consensus protocol changes would be impossible. For this reason, they thought it was extremely important to get certain privacy improvements in place.

Someone in that mindset may very well see filibustering necessary changes as a way of taking them hostage to otherwise-beneficial features.

The act of carrying out this strategy, however, is what actually creates the conditions that supposedly made it necessary in the first place.

cypherdoc

Aug 26, 2015
Adam Back, in his podcasts, doesn't even apologize anymore for saying that if LN existed right now, he wouldn't have to be ridiculously defending his choking of block sizes. well, too bad, LN & SC's aren't here and the community is sending clear signals that cap needs to be lifted. he's just stalling

Reactions: bitsko

cypherdoc

Aug 26, 2015
What are your typical hosted/home bandwidth limits?
Is there a monthly limit for transmitted/received and is it << 31 days * the instantaneous bandwidth?
What happens if you go over?
my vps has 2TB. what is that? per month?

theZerg

Staff member
Aug 28, 2015
I'm not sure, can you cut/paste the context? That's pretty high if its # of bytes sent/received per month. Are you anywhere near hitting that limit?

cypherdoc

Aug 26, 2015

theZerg

Staff member
Aug 28, 2015
That's probably per day actually, My home node has used 81MB in the last few hours

EDIT: I don't think you need my traffic shaping :(

sickpig

Aug 28, 2015
I'm not sure, can you cut/paste the context? That's pretty high if its # of bytes sent/received per month. Are you anywhere near hitting that limit?
1TB bandwidth cap is s fairly typical even for the entry level vps (e.g. digital ocean 5$ per mount machine).

on the domestic side of the issue, in the place where I live connectivity providers are starting to provide flat solution based on 4G/LTE, that means you could reach 150 Mbps down and 50 up. From my field testing on avg is more like 75/25 though, more then enough to run a full node anyway.

theZerg

Staff member
Aug 28, 2015
Just to confirm, that's per day?

solex

Staff member
Aug 22, 2015
Adam Back, in his podcasts, doesn't even apologize anymore for saying that if LN existed right now, he wouldn't have to be ridiculously defending his choking of block sizes. well, too bad, LN & SC's aren't here and the community is sending clear signals that cap needs to be lifted. he's just stalling
Brave New Coins' survey looks to be representative of informed opinion. The small yellow slice in the centre pie-chart is Adam Back and like-minded people stalling. In a Let's Talk Bitcoin podcast he asked Gavin what he thought of his 2,4,8 proposal. Gavin asked him to get Blockstream to agree to it and then come back to him. Exactly right. Gavin wants him to put up or shut up.

http://bravenewcoin.com/news/the-blockchain-scalability-survey/

cypherdoc

Aug 26, 2015
Brave New Coins' survey looks to be representative of informed opinion. The small yellow slice in the centre pie-chart is Adam Back and like-minded people stalling. In a Let's Talk Bitcoin podcast he asked Gavin what he thought of his 2,4,8 proposal. Gavin asked him to get Blockstream to agree to it and then come back to him. Exactly right. Gavin wants him to put up or shut up.

http://bravenewcoin.com/news/the-blockchain-scalability-survey/
yeah, he said it twice too. quite appropriately.

you don't suppose the BS guys are trying to divide and conquer, are they? how many diff proposals do they have? at least 3 by my count. if Mark has one too, that would be 4.

solex

Staff member
Aug 22, 2015
Except the survey continues to conflate the block size with the block size limit.
Haha. I hadn't even noticed. This is poor presentation because it muddies the whole debate. We know what is really meant, but not all their readers will.

@cypherdoc
Recently, I asked Luke Jr outright on reddit whether BS had a team policy on the block limit and he said they hadn't discussed it. So no policy.
Luke is supporting Pieter on the BIP-sipa 1.175% annual scaling, which of course is far short of Adam's 2,4,8. It does look like they have gone into this whole matter with simply the vague hope that constrained blocks will drive users to BS solutions. Not going so far as to agree between themselves just how constrained they will tolerate the blocks as an official position. Maybe they can't agree between themselves!

Last edited: