Will bitcoin development ever "finish"?

Will everyone eventually move on to other things?

• Total voters

priestc

Nov 19, 2015
Some software projects will never end. For instance the Linux kernel. Its safe to say that in 100 years there will still be Linux kernel developers making commits to something resembling the linux kernel of today. Same with browsers, there will always be new features to add to browsers like Firefox and Chrome. No one thinks there will be a final version of any of the above software projects.

But what about Bitcoin? It seems to be that this is something that should not go on forever. It seems plausible to me that there could come a time where there just isn't anything else to do. I kind of think it's already happening. Other than the blocksize debate what else is going on with bitcoin development? Not much else. I like to think of Bitcoin as kind of like the pyramids of Egypt. It took hundreds of years to build them, but there eventually came a day when all the workers had to go home because all the work had been done. I think at some point all Bitcoin developers will have to make like Satoshi and move on to other projects, as there wlll be a point in time where there is just nothing left to do.

What do you think?

jaffer

Dec 27, 2015
The bulk of development has to stop at some point if the currency should be useful for storing large amounts of money over long periods of time.

For each update there is a small risk of introducing bugs that will cause the bitcoin monetary system to collape and make the market price zero.

This is currently what prevents me from investing all of my savings in bitcoin.

With a stable system that only changes for minor updates, storing large amounts of money will have a very small risk.

In ten years time the software will hopefully be stable.