Synthetic Fork Slides

johnyj

Mar 3, 2016
https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/59bobi/a_graphic_presentation_of_synthetic_fork/

https://doc.co/6rzZ6B

It seems this proposal is even accepted by the most hard core core supporters in chinese forum, looks like a good effort to gather consensus. Currently chinese users are asking who is going to implement this function.

IMO it is very simple to add a few lines to reject old style blocks after activation threshold is reached, but who can code this?

If anyone can code this, please take a few minutes to write a few lines and show me the git hub commit

Reactions: lunar and Bloomie

johnyj

Mar 3, 2016
Another reason that chinese enterprises insists on no chain split is because some of them run FRB, e.g. loan out the bitcoin to invest in mining infrastructure. So if a chain split happens and people start to withdraw coins, they will face a bank run

adamstgbit

Mar 13, 2016
with this, you could set the activation at 50% +1
and it would be relatively safe!

a fork without a split, hahaha, this is genius

johnyj

Mar 3, 2016
adamstgbit said:
with this, you could set the activation at 50% +1
and it would be relatively safe!

a fork without a split, hahaha, this is genius
You could also set the activation at 50% +1 with any soft fork, since phase I does exactly what a soft fork does... Or, you have just realized the biggest problem with a soft fork?

adamstgbit

Mar 13, 2016
i'm not sure if i like the idea or not.

its a good way to force the last remaining % hash rate that didnt upgrade to upgrade.
[doublepost=1478362926][/doublepost]sotf forks can be deployed with <1% hashing power backing it.

example a miner choose to not include any TX that has less then 50sat/byte TX fees.

thats a sotf fork

core has truly fucked up the meaning of soft fork with there BS about how segwit is a softfork.....segwit is a PUN.