Mining pool with support for Bitcoin Unlimited

steffen

Nov 22, 2015
I am in a process of buying some modern mining equipment. I intend for the hardware to be hosted. The hoster tells me to create an account with a pool. She needs to know server address, worker name and password from the pool. Does anyone know where I can find a pool with support for Bitcoin Unlimited?

Bernard Kolobara

Dec 24, 2015
Geneva, Switzerland
I didn't look deeper into BU, but from my understanding it is not a fork like XT, but chooses the longest chain not caring about size limit. It will accept any block chain that is the longest (most hashing power). It would work with any proposed block size increase, but you still need to decide which one you support. Bitcoin XT supports BIP101. I don't know about implementations for other BIPs that also propose size increases.

If you mine for a XT pool or mine for a Core pool you are creating blocks that BU will accept. If you would like the bigger blocks to succeed you should mine at a XT pool.

Of course, you could create your own fork with and bigger block size and if you manage to have the most hashing power Bitcoin Unlimited would be ok with it.

steffen

Nov 22, 2015
A BU pool with default settings will not produce blocks bigger than 1 MB but it will accept bigger blocks if smaller than 16 MB if I understand correctly. I think that is a good first step so I prefer to find a BU pool.

steffen

Nov 22, 2015
Thank you for your answer. I think a lot of participants in this forum would prefer if there was one. The needs/wants of those people could become the business opportunity for someone. Who in this forum has the abilities and the willingness to create such a pool? Or to guide others into creating such a pool. Can it be created with open source software already freely available?

There is a plan for the Bitcoin Unlimited team to set up a mining pool running on BU. Right now it is actually in the Articles of Federation, though I think it should be taken out and proposed as a BUIP.

Article 4: The Bitcoin Unlimited Mining Pool
Increasingly, users who have a strong vested interest in the success of Bitcoin control proportionally little hash power. The Bitcoin Unlimited Mining Pool seeks to provide companies and users a transparently run, not-for-profit, high payout, mining pool which explicitly supports global bitcoin adoption through Bitcoin Unlimited block creation.

1. Operation

2. The Pool will be run by the Bitcoin Unlimited Pool Operator and other real-identity-known Bitcoin Unlimited members as designated by the Pool Operator, with operational and mission transparency as key priorities. The Bitcoin Unlimited Pool will run Bitcoin Unlimited full node software.

3. Donator Incentives

Users, companies, and other ecosystem stakeholders will be incentivized to contribute to this pool as long as it supports their values. As has always been the case, hash power speaks loudest, and stakeholders ultimately exercise their vote via hashing.

4. User Incentives

In the ideal case, donations will exceed operational cost, and therefore the Bitcoin Unlimited Pool will offer an overlay payout to participant miners, specifics to be decided by BUIP. This should build a strong base of hash power for the pool. Donations can be made for the specific purpose of supporting the Pool, as opposed to donations to the general Bitcoin Unlimited fund, and will be managed in a 2 of 3 (President, Secretary, Pool Operator) multi-sig account separate from Bitcoin Unlimited general purpose funds.

5. 51% Risk

To alleviate real or perceived risk of this pool gaining more than 50% of total network hash power, if the pool's hash power exceeds an average of 30% for more than 30 consecutive days, it must disband into two completely separate entities with no personnel overlap.