Merge mining with a possible Core fork

Hyena

Feb 27, 2017
True Bitcoin is the one with most PoW backing it up. In case of a fork where 20% of dumb miners decide to stick with the small blocks, BU nodes should merge mine the old protocol producing empty blocks. This should effectively kill off the efforts of the Core team to spawn their own fork.

freetrader

Staff member
Dec 16, 2015
It's funny how every time someone proposes a fork [1], these merge mining recommendations keep popping up.

FYI, what you're suggesting is what happened to CoiledCoin. While I would probably experience a tiny amount of schadenfreude if it happened to a fanatical 1MB minority Bitcoin fork, my sympathy for their right to fork off and pursue their dreams overrules that emotion.

Let's leave them (Core) in peace and not devote efforts to any attack. The way it looks to me, their coin is bound to fail on its economic premises and if they go POW change, on the realities of the Internet. And if they make it work against my expectations, then it probably deserves to live. Just like Gollum.

We don't wanna be like this vvvvv :D

[1] For a reverse take on this suggestion, see this proposal : https://www.reddit.com/r/btcfork/comments/4xmhvp/noncontentious_alternative_to_a_fork_symbiosis/

FWIW, I don't see anything wrong with mining minority forks and selling those coins to purchase True Bitcoins :LOL:

Last edited:

Hyena

Feb 27, 2017
@freetrader
Yes, this is good idea, merge mine the SegWitCoin for profit? Why not. after all, as a Bitcoin hodler I will also automatically get my share of the SegWitCoin. It's not going to be much of a loss for me, especially because I'm holding since 2012 :D