I was thinking of starting my own bitcoin forum

bitbee99

Mar 19, 2017
i was thinking of starting my own bitcoin forum
, i seached online and noticed there isn't many bitcoin forums online,

i could only find 4 and this is probably the only good looking bitcoin forum online,
the others are old and crummy looking

running a forum seems like a lot of work, is it worth it?

im ready to give up even before i start

who here runs a forum online,

AdrianX

Aug 28, 2015
bitco.in
@Bloomie started this one, I can say it is very important to have distributed discussion forums, both bitcoin.com and bitco.in and r/btc were born out of centralized control of the other forums. so while we all hate on Thetmos the owners of bitcointalk.org and r/bitcoin and bitcoin.org, and the bitcoinwiki.org for censoring discussion he has diversified control of the bitcoin forums.

If you start one you will need to start by identifying your target audience, and finding a way to attract them I can't imagine it would be easy.

to be honest I was not sure this one was going to survive.

bitbee99

Mar 19, 2017
who is this thetmos, i looked online and it says his real name is Michael Marquardt,
does anyone have any pictures of him? how old is he, and why don't we know anything about him

i am a member of bitcointalk forum and /bitcoin and i've never had anything deleted or censored,
bitcointalk does suck, the forum software is crap, they dont imporve it or anything,
is the owner old and doesnt really care?

but i didn't know they were the same owners,

i know roger ver owns bitcoin.com , does roger ver own r/btc/ as well?

bitcoin.com has more power, roger ver has a lot of power owning that domain

i want to know the truth, tell me everything you know
[doublepost=1491347772][/doublepost]also who is this bloomie guy, can we trust him? where is he from, is he a banker? i want to know everything about him too
[doublepost=1491348452,1491347734][/doublepost]what about the forum bitcoinforum.com who owns that domain, do we know?

i tried to make an account there but my activation email never came, and i email the forum from the contact link and no answer,

whoever owns that domain is lucky, its a good domain, the forum stinks , they are using old forum script simple machines

does Michael Marquardt own that domain too??

i think i have an account at bitcoin.com's forum, i cant remember, i will go post stuff there too soon, but last time i went there, i remember their forum didnt have many users,

AdrianX

Aug 28, 2015
bitco.in
I don't even know if Michael Marquardt is his name, or if he sold his online ID - he spent millions in bitcoin fixing up bitcointalk.org the people who donated the money were mad, there is very little to show for it, he leaked all user info - twice among the benefactors were the FBI - that info probably lead to the closure of the Silk road and the theft of lots of bitcoin - username and password hacks.

if you dig through the history you will see those sites were entrusted to him, he was in is early 20's when he got into bitcoin, he is probably still in his 20's (a trusted member here once said he skyped with theymos to asked him to explain bitcoin - said he was a little nervous kid, - he admired to thinking he was satoshi, but after talking to him he was sure it was not.

roger owns both bitcoin.com and r/btc

most people here are from bitcointalk.org Bloomie I presumed was one of the victims of the great censoring - the closing of GCBU thread, some members got together to start this censorship free space - it also later became the birthplace for Bitcoin Unlimited.

I have no idea who owns bitcoinforum.com

bitsein

Feb 19, 2017
That would be Theymos (with a y). He was an early adopter of Bitcoin, hosted and continues to host bitcoin social media, but pretty much keeps his online distinct from his offline. That name may be his name, but I don't think it matters either way.

I'd say this forum is already the alternative you have in mind.

Reactions: AdrianX

bitbee99

Mar 19, 2017
does anyone know what Bloomie's name was on bitcointalk?

do people on reddit know him? i want to write a thread on reddit and bitcoin talk and investigate this Bloomie character

bitbee99

Mar 19, 2017
it seems all the good bitcoin forum domains are taken,

maybe i'll start a bitcoin blog instead, there isnt many bitcoin blogs out there,

i don't know what to do, i love bitcoin so much, i want to start something, but have no ideas

Reactions: AdrianX

AdrianX

Aug 28, 2015
bitco.in
A good name is not what makes a good forum, but that said I am not convinced bitcoin needs another one in the near future.

In my experience the key to success is creativity solving problems or fulfilling needs.

The best way to contribute to bitcoin is to identify a problem or a need, understand it then to work on find a way to help solve it that benefits all involved.

Bitcoin is not short of problems.

Last edited:

Zolin

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
Domain name is not always the key factor. There are forums with cool names but they have zero traffic.