https://bitcoin.consider.it/ A Bitcoin Consensus Census

Bagatell

Aug 28, 2015
@Zangelbert Bingledack No it's Michael Toomins work. I found it in post by his brother u/jtoomin - he of the Chinese miner survey.

If anyone else looks at it, take a couple of minutes to register and vote. I think it could get to be a useful resource with some judicious spamming ;)

Bagatell

Aug 28, 2015
[Someone needs to take ownership of this proposal. The current description is not satisfactory and is too vague. Please tell us what you are proposing we do with BU. Is this for full nodes to use BU, or for mining nodes to use BU? If so, how? You aren't providing people enough information to evaluate what you are proposing. Thanks, jtoomim (moderator)]

https://bitcoin.consider.it/bitcoin-unlimited?results=true

Your guidance gentlemen please.

Zangelbert Bingledack

Aug 29, 2015
Bitcoin Unlimited is proposing that full nodes and mining nodes decide the blocksize settings for themselves from among BIPs or their own custom configuration, with Bitcoin Unlimited being a vehicle for doing that more conveniently (users don't have to mod the code themselves).

The idea is that users would converge on a consensus Schelling point through various communication channels because of the overwhelming economic incentive to do so. The situation that results would be no different than now except that there would be no reliance on Core (or XT) to set what the options are. Bitcoin Unlimited, as software, constitutes a meta-proposal that rejects the idea that it is the job of Core (or XT) developers to govern policy or available policy options on blocksize. Bitcoin Unlimited would relegate developer-led BIPs to the status of mere recommendations.

Last edited:

Peter R

Aug 28, 2015
Agree with @Zangelbert Bingledack. I might add something about signalling too:

BU is proposing that full nodes and mining nodes decide for themselves. BU is a vehicle to permit its customers to easily adjust their block size limits. It will also be a tool to efficiently communicate those limits across the network, thereby facilitating an emergent consensus.

Edit: comment no longer applies as ZB has updated.

Last edited:

Bagatell

Aug 28, 2015
Last edited:

Zangelbert Bingledack

Aug 29, 2015
@Bagatell

See my edit.

@Peter R

Note in case you want to withdraw your Like from the edit. Have to go eat now, maybe want the communications idea merged in as well though but I didn't know what to say so I'll leave you guys to it.

Zangelbert Bingledack

Aug 29, 2015
@Peter R

I mean I didn't include the part about communication within the client, but if that is a planned offering it probably would sound better with it in. Not sure whether to mention acceptance depth. Depends on whether it's seen as particularly important for arriving at Schelling consensus or as just a useful feature.

Bagatell

Aug 28, 2015
Only con so far is -

"Game theory of BU is too complicated for now and has not yet been sufficiently analyzed"

Zangelbert Bingledack

Aug 29, 2015
Funny comment, because the game theory of the Core dev team "consensus" process is even less understood (to put it lightly), and if we're not restricting the options to Core then the exact same game-theoretic issues arise in the choice of Core vs. XT vs. whatever (or if it's solely the choice of miners, the same issues apply among the BIPs - except without the added friction of user inconvenience). No matter how you slice it, BU makes for the cleanest game theoretic considerations.
[doublepost=1451752731,1451751876][/doublepost]@Bagatell

If you don't want to use my text above, can you replace the existing text with my revisions here?

https://bitco.in/forum/threads/bitcoin-unlimited-visual-identity.206/page-6#post-7985

That text has several typos and unreadable parts.

Aquent

Aug 19, 2015
Hmm, interesting. Does that show Luke-Jr as in the middle? That is undecided in regards to BU? Cute. Hey BTCC is there too next to Luke-Jr so tilting in favour?

Good to see the toomim bros in favour! Oh and jstolfi. Maybe he can have a look at the code see how he can help haha.

Last edited: