Clearing up the confusion: My Hong Kong presentation proposal was NOT accepted

Peter R

Aug 28, 2015
Clearing up the confusion: My Hong Kong presentation proposal was NOT accepted

The email below clearly shows it was rejected.

The reason there is a rumor going around that it was also accepted is because conference organizers told me that it was, and that an email to that effect would be forthcoming. As my presentation would include results from several others’ work on Bitcoin Unlimited (BIP101/XT compatible) and related TestNet experiments, some of these people became aware of my proposal’s informal acceptance. My family and friends were also curious regarding my potential trip to Hong Kong, so when I told them what I was told, they believed it was accepted too.

The confusion started when I received an email from conference organizers on Sunday night, requesting that I submit a working paper (I had submitted a two-page abstract as per the instructions). The timing of that request seemed suspicious, as it was the same day that the CTO of Blockstream (a conference organizer) unsubscribed from the Bitcoin-Dev mailing list after the debate between he and I the previous night (on a topic closely related to what I intended to present).

Was everyone else now being asked for full papers on Sunday night--literally one day before we were supposed to hear whether our proposals were accepted? If so, why weren’t full papers asked for up-front? From my personal experience, whenever a group asks "last minute" for "rough work,” obliging has often come back to bite me. E.g., the work leaks and is later used to discredit me for being “sloppy,” or the exercise was designed to get a low-quality submission in the first place so that it could be “logically rejected.”

In further telephone conversations with conference organizers, I learned that my proposal had already been accepted. The problem—and the reason for the email—was that some people were strongly opposed to the ideas I intended to present. To help relieve this group’s concerns, conference organizers suggested that I allow my PowerPoint slides to be reviewed prior to giving my talk. Although this seemed like an odd request for an academic conference, I agreed. I also agreed not to explicitly use the term “governance,” which was somewhat awkward as my talk is partly about the difference between “top-down” versus “bottom-up” control over the evolution of Bitcoin. Nevertheless, I made it clear that I would still promote decentralizing development and the perspective that the block size is an emergent phenomenon (as opposed to a policy tool).

The next morning (Monday) I received another email from conference organizers, thanking me for my submission and requesting another phone call to discuss the upcoming conference. Most of the conversation was about how to best create an environment where I could feel comfortable and safe presenting my research. During this call (Tuesday), I mentioned that I had only been told verbally that my proposal was accepted and had still not received a formal email (it was now one day late). This individual noted that he was not part of the selection committee and that they might have got delayed for some reason.

I then spent an hour writing my application for the $1,500 travel bursary, since it was pretty clear that I was going, and I submitted it. About an hour later, I received the rejection email that you see above.

Perhaps there is more information regarding what happened that I’m not aware of, but that is all I know at the time of writing this post. I hope that this story explains satisfactorily the confusion regarding how my talk could be both accepted and rejected.

Thank you to the Bitcoin community!

I am always amazed at the kindness and generosity of this community, especially when unfortunate events like this happen. I have received an outpouring of support in the form of forum and reddit comments, tweets, emails, private messages, and phone calls. It is very much appreciated!

If I were to make one “call to action” it would be this:

Recognize that Bitcoin is ultimately governed by the code we freely choose to run. Consensus is an emergent phenomenon, objectively measurable as the longest persistent chain. Proof of work both enforces and defines the protocol.

Believe that Bitcoin will become a peer-to-peer electronic cash system for all of planet earth. But remember that our success is not guaranteed--bootstrapping a new global monetary system was never going to be easy. Our next step is to decentralize development and return control over the evolution of the network back to the users, back to you.

Promote free and open discussion to allow us to make free and informed choices. I ask that community leaders follow the lead of Coinbase CEO Brian Armstrong and advocate for public discussion forums where ideas are not censored and open discussion is encouraged.

Oh and thank you to those who offered to fly me to Hong Kong anyways! Unfortunately, I am now scheduled to fly into cold Winona Minnesota to perform some EMI experiments around the same time.

Sincerely,
Peter

Last edited:

cypherdoc

Aug 26, 2015
i take it the answer to this is "no":

Was everyone else now being asked for full papers on Sunday night--literally one day before we were supposed to hear whether our proposals were accepted?

Peter R

Aug 28, 2015
For comparison, the first part of my talk was based on this paper that is in fact posted on the Scaling Bitcoin website:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/43331625/feemarket.pdf

while the second half dealt with the viewing the block size limit as an emergent phenomenon, as a segue to the introduction of Bitcoin Unlimited [1], as described in my two-page proposal here.

[1] Unlimited choice, not unlimited blocksize.

Last edited:

Inca

Staff member
Aug 28, 2015
Peter R that looks extremely robust and impressive and professional.

Please post it on reddit.com/r/bitcoin.

Reactions: cypherdoc

cypherdoc

Aug 26, 2015
Of course it is.

The guy is the Managing Editor of Ledger Journal. It's his job to know how to put a paper together.

Just who the hell is on the Scaling Bitcoin Review Committee?

sickpig

Aug 28, 2015
thanks for sharing @Peter R.

Does anybody else find rejection reason stated in the email quite hypocritical?

HK staff explicitly said on the phone what was the real reason I.e. "some people were strongly opposed to the ideas I intended to present", no need to cover up appealing to slots scarcity, what a farce.

This is extremely sad, they can't even stand to an idea different from theirs, both on economic and even technical level. For an example of the latter look at the this:

https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/7015

regardless of the value of the issue (hint: such issue has a lot of merit) the attitude gmax and bluematt shown is so pernicious to the community: they are right everybody else is wrong and they don't even care to explain or point to an explanation. even worst, they imply that you can't understand why your idea is wrong because you're too stupid/naive.

is there anything more harmful than this to an open community?

edit: fix typo

Last edited:
Reactions: Peter R

BlueMatt

Nov 18, 2015
I'm not actually sure who you are referring to when you say that someone affiliated with the workshop told you your talk was provisionally accepted, but you should be blaming them for spreading rumors. There was no decision made as to whether to accept or not your talk until only briefly before the final email was sent.

As for your claims that Greg was involved in rejecting your proposal, that is absolutely not the case. If you mean to claim Blockstream is censoring you, then you are blaming me alone (as the only person on the program committee affiliated with Blockstream who wrote a final review of your proposal).

Indeed, because we had so many great proposals, there were several proposals, including yours, that were hard to decide on and it took a bit more time than expected for those, with us asking for more information from several authors. Sadly, we ended up having to reject somewhere around 40% of the proposals due to limited time, but we hope you can participate in the ongoing discussion!

Byzantine Lover

Nov 12, 2015
"...there were several proposals...that were hard to decide...with us asking for more information from several authors."

So you bothered more than just @Peter R late on a Sunday evening for "full papers" hours before the acceptance decisions were due? :rolleyes:

"As for your claims that Greg was involved in rejecting your proposal"

Did he claim that? He just mentioned the strange timing between when Greg had a hissy fit after losing a debate with @Peter R and when he was asked for "a full paper." However, since you confirmed that this was standard practice of "Scaling Bitcoin" to ask for full papers on Sunday evenings mere hours before your "reputable committee"[1] made their decisions, then I guess you've proven without a doubt the his suspicion was completely unfounded.

[1] Consisting of honorable members such as Peter Todd

Reactions: sickpig

sickpig

Aug 28, 2015
@Peter R, @all does anybody know the list of people who belong to to the program committee?

We already know by the courtesy of Matt Corallo [1] and Peter Todd [2] that they are directly involved. I'm interested in knowing who else participate to the committee decision.

[1] https://bitco.in/forum/threads/clearing-up-the-confusion-my-hong-kong-presentation-proposal-was-not-accepted.209/#post-3936
[2] direct link to Peter Todd comment sating that he was partof the committee

p.s. @Bloomie is there away to avoid automatic rendering of reddit links? e.g. a verbatim section

Last edited:

sickpig

Aug 28, 2015
@Bloomie it works even if it has an awkward layout :p

edit: just found a better way.. a good old <a> tag

Reactions: Bloomie

cypherdoc

Aug 26, 2015
I'm not actually sure who you are referring to when you say that someone affiliated with the workshop told you your talk was provisionally accepted, but you should be blaming them for spreading rumors. There was no decision made as to whether to accept or not your talk until only briefly before the final email was sent.

As for your claims that Greg was involved in rejecting your proposal, that is absolutely not the case. If you mean to claim Blockstream is censoring you, then you are blaming me alone (as the only person on the program committee affiliated with Blockstream who wrote a final review of your proposal).

Indeed, because we had so many great proposals, there were several proposals, including yours, that were hard to decide on and it took a bit more time than expected for those, with us asking for more information from several authors. Sadly, we ended up having to reject somewhere around 40% of the proposals due to limited time, but we hope you can participate in the ongoing discussion!
When did you first become aware of "problems" with his paper? Surely you should have expressed concerns about it to the rest of the committee at least a few days before it's rejection just yesterday for courtesy purposes alone?

Last edited:

Peter R

Aug 28, 2015
"I'm not actually sure who you are referring to when you say that someone affiliated with the workshop told you your talk was provisionally accepted" -- @BlueMatt

Let it be known that I spoke with, and have first hand information, from more than one of the conference organizers about this.

Last edited:

Andrew Miller

Nov 19, 2015
So, this is mostly my fault. The committee decided to ask Peter (along with several other proposers) for more information or a full paper, and Peter asked me privately for advice how to respond. I (in poor judgment) conveyed that it didn't matter since he was likely to be accepted (as that's what it seemed like at the time). It ended up that the committee's final decision was to reject. I wasn't authorized to say anything like that, wasn't speaking on the behalf of the committee, and I shouldn't have said anything at all.
So, Peter isn't lying, and the committee did not reverse any decision. This was just my fault for meddling. Sorry!

Reactions: sickpig and Peter R

Peter R

Aug 28, 2015
Thank you for clearing that up, Andrew! I think you are both one of the best technical minds in Bitcoin and one of the most honourable.

I completely disagree that this was mostly your fault, however. From my perspective, the fault lies entirely with the Committee's decision to solicit additional information on a Sunday night, only one day before acceptance/rejection notices were due. I am sure I would have gleaned the same information regarding my proposal (that it was initially accepted) regardless of who I spoke with. And in fact, I had communication with another conference organizer who was also operating under the same assumptions regarding my proposal's acceptance.

Word can spread very easily: even during our Ledger Editors’ meeting on Monday, I was asked if I was going to Hong Kong and I said something to the effect of "yeah it sounds like my proposal was accepted,” thus further fuelling the rumour.

Like Satoshi said, information is easy to spread but hard to stifle.

Last edited:
Reactions: sickpig