BUIP129: (passed) Finish and Productize the BU voting system

theZerg

Staff member
Aug 28, 2015
BUIP129: Finish and Productize the BU Voting System
Submitted by: Andrew Stone
Date: 2019/8/11

Summary

Currently the BU voting process simply requires that every user sign a vote. This BUIP allocates resources to evolve this process into a fully-fledged voting system that could be easily adopted by external organizations, integrated with or closely related to the Bitcoin Cash blockchain. This BUIP requests a person-year of work (approximately 100-150k USD) in funding to allow us to bring a developer on for a longer time frame than is normally possible via small projects. This should make this effort attractive to a larger set of possible candidates.

End Goal, User Perspective

A website allowing an external entity to register and manage a vote. This website will be open source and easily cloned and customized by institutions that want a dedicated site.

A mobile “Activity” (embeddable in any mobile app) that handles voting, connecting to any registered entity. Embed this activity into an app that integrates with the website described above.

Voting System Requirements

Hjálmarsson, et. al provides a summary of voting requirements:

(i) An election system should not enable coerced voting.

(ii) An election system should not enable traceability of a vote to a voters identifying credentials.

(iii) An election system should ensure and proof to a voter, that the voters vote, was counted, and counted correctly.

(iv) An election system should not enable control to a third party to tamper with any vote.

(v) An election system should not enable a single entity control over tallying votes and determining an elections result.

(vi) An election system should only allow eligible individuals to vote in an election

In a digital era, additional requirements and modifications to these requirements may be needed.
A weaker form of requirement (v) may be acceptable:

(v.1) A single tallying entity must be able to prove inclusion of individuals’ votes, and the non-existence of fake votes.

A stronger (or perhaps simply a clearer) form of i is needed to discourage selling of votes -- in traditional voting, someone can pay a voter to vote a certain way, but cannot verify what vote is actually cast. This inability to verify discourages direct vote purchases:

(i.2) An election system should not enable coerced voting. Even with the cooperation of the voter, a dishonest voter should be able to plausibly claim different vote choices (unless vote delegation is explicitly desired within the voting system).

Technology

This section discusses an approach with the purpose of showing that a robust voting system can be achieved. The technologies are here. But the final system may change based on careful reading of prior work.
  1. Identity: An external entity is assumed to validate identity and associate a public key with a voter in a manner beyond the scope of this document.

2. Creating a vote & registering: A UTXO (OP_RETURN annotated for public blockchains, or a first class token) is sent to every voter per vote. The UTXO is optionally sent to every voter or a prospective voter needs to ask for one.

3. Anonymity: Before voting opens, these UTXOs are mixed (automatically via user’s apps) via cash shuffle ideally with Schnorr input aggregation (which may be coming soon in bitcoin cash).

4. Opening a vote: After a period of time voting opens. Votes are cast using cash shuffle, by sending the shuffled UTXO to an output address that corresponds to the vote choice. Even if a user skips step 3, at least one cash shuffle round offers some anonymity, so long as the outputs go to multiple choices.

5. Votes are tallied using a merkle tree. Voting apps can query the tallying entity and receive a merkle proof that a vote was part of the tally. Requesting the merkle proof could deanonymize the requester to the contents of the final cash shuffle voting transaction. To further preserve anonymity, request multiple proofs for random voting transactions. Doing so also probabilistically checks the honesty of the tally.

6. On a public blockchain, anyone can create a full tally, fully verifying any “official” tally.

Observations

These protocols could be run on a public blockchain, private blockchain or no blockchain at all (just a sequence of dependent transactions). The disadvantage of a public blockchain is in data management. For major elections, this generates lots of data, potentially wasting blockchain space. For small votes, the opposite may be a problem -- requiring that tally machines sift through a huge amount of blockchain data for a few votes.

But in the no blockchain case, a set of attackers could claim their votes were not included by not publishing a voting transaction and then presenting the transaction after the fact. This is avoided by requiring cash shuffle, since a single few input few output vote would be suspicious, but would be fixed by committing all voting transaction hashes to an (unrelated) public blockchain to prove existence.

The private blockchain solution presumes that the entities that assemble blocks won’t censor transactions.

Another issue is that an attacker could refuse to sign a cashshuffle operation in which any output tx votes differently, but this would simply isolate votes into different transactions. It may be useful to commit to a vote and then reveal it later, but this may also just defer censorship to the reveal stage.

Prior Work

There is a medium amount. Some of this effort will be culling interesting ideas from prior work. However, much of the prior work expects a Ethereum style smart contract system or a custom blockchain, whereas this BUIP proposes the creation of a solution that uses Bitcoin Cash technologies.

Blockchain-Based E-Voting System, Friðrik Þ. Hjálmarsson et.al:
https://skemman.is/bitstream/1946/31161/1/Research-Paper-BBEVS.pdf

Secure Digital Voting System based on Blockchain Technology, Khan et. al.:
https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/c1f0/b096f9ce1b17bea2d39ee760aaede9829d29.pdf

ELECTRONIC VOTING SYSTEMUSING BLOCKCHAIN Ganji, et. al.:
https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/84c7/c5b9df300d5d282038684654e2d47998b3dd.pdf

(but incomplete IMHO since it “solves” voter anonymity in a trusted centralized manner)

Last edited:

freetrader

Staff member
Dec 16, 2015
Could the proposer of this BUIP put a dollar amount as ceiling on this?

"This BUIP requests a person-year of work in funding to allow us to bring a developer on for a longer time frame than is normally possible via small projects."

Reactions: solex

freetrader

Staff member
Dec 16, 2015
To clarify, I think a ceiling could be expressed in any currency, including BTC, BCH in which I believe BU holds the majority of its funds. Not necessarily in US dollars.

theZerg

Staff member
Aug 28, 2015
I am looking at local salaries here for developers from $90-150k USD. Maybe I'm biased as the Developer, but I think that development is a great use of BU funds. And we very easily have these funds given the recent price appreciation of BTC.

I feel like we have been more successful getting contributors for the longer term, than for single smaller projects.

This BUIP encompasses a large project when you consider the level of technology (using new blockchain tech) and polish that I am proposing. When the project is done, a 3rd party should be able to create and run an anonymous, provable, vote. Is it a full year? IDK, development schedules are too uncertain for that... but if done early, there is plenty of other work for this person to do. Or we could end this person's development service contract early, since its generally month-to-month anyway.

I don't want to get too visionary here, but selling the service to organize votes could be a revenue stream for BU since when you include municipal and corporate voting there is a lot of activity. We don't have to go from 0 to country-level politics... But, I haven't looked into it -- to do this there may be a whole round of compliance or certification which we may or may not want to pursue after making the technology work.

Additionally, the technology will be blockchain agnostic. Although our implementation will be on the BU BCH code base so our BSV-aligned members could easily repurpose the code onto BSV.

This blockchain-agnostic focus makes this project a good choice to show how as an organization we can push the state-of-the-art in blockchain software, even though some of our members focus on BCH, some on BSV, and some diversify into BTC,BCH,BSV,ETH,MRO, and smaller altcoins.

Reactions: jQrgen and AdrianX

freetrader

Staff member
Dec 16, 2015
Not that it matters the outcome, but I'll record why I voted against this BUIP in its current form.
It's not because I object to the idea of such a product, even if it is using BU funds for something whose return on investment is undetermined.

I think this BUIP is underestimating the effort needed to develop such a product - perhaps severely.
It's lacking firm market research, nor is it actually doing what it says on the tin - it's not "finishing" the existing voting system, but proposing a complete overhaul by a more elaborate system.

It also has "brainstormy" character, requiring literally research & development from everything including the requirements up to deliverable.
If a developer can be found to complete this to product readiness in a year, I'll be pleasantly surprised. Until then I believe this will be a project resulting in massive budget (and time, if constrained to single dev) overrun.

I'd rather see this money spent on a developer or research publication time for BU itself. Like kicking scaling ass with the 2nd round of GTI experiments & results. Or getting pre-consensus or double-spend proof notification work that doesn't require consensus change integrated and rolled out in collaboration with some wallets.

However, if we have to allocate this money to funding a voting system development, I'd much prefer if it was broken up into smaller chunks of clearly defined work, preferably starting with improving the current system which isn't bad, but could use some love e.g. in the area of anonymous voting (relevant mostly for voting on BU elected officials).

We must also keep in mind that in the area of electronic voting systems, it is very easy to screw up, and *lose* reputation as a result. So work of this nature requires a larger amount of expertise, care and rigor than ordinary development work.

Last edited:

AdrianX

Aug 28, 2015
bitco.in
To make sure the internet never brakes, as a caretaker, I'm adding this link here for the continuity of this proposal.

Reactions: 79b79aa8

donald26

Feb 2, 2024
HOW YOU CAN RECOVER YOUR LOST CRYPTO/FUNDS: Lost hope in a crypto scam? I got my $394,330 back! I invested $430,000 in a bogus crypto site. Big returns promised, withdrawals blocked, extra fees demanded – it was a nightmare. Feeling trapped, I even considered the unthinkable. My family helped me through it, and my niece suggested HACKERSTEVE911. They'd helped her with grades, but I'd never thought of them for this. I contacted them, expecting little. But within four days, they recovered $394,330 back to my wallet! My hope, my life, was back. If you're in a similar situation, don't lose hope. Contact them on hackersteve911@gmail.com