BUIP128: (passed) Fund the Developer

theZerg

Staff member
Aug 28, 2015
BUIP128: Fund the Developer
Submitted by: Andrew Stone
Date: 2019/8/11

Summary

I lost my independent majority funder last spring due to the cryptocurrency "winter". Although my job as Developer must be voluntary, the Articles allow me to be funded for other work. My specific work as a voluntary Developer can be interpreted narrowly as getting other people to implement BUIPs, clicking the merge button, and running releases. But the reality is that in-depth code reviews and my own contributions to Bitcoin Unlimited is a full time job.

Budget

This BUIP authorizes 100,000 USD a year (paid monthly in crypto of course) to continue this work. Legally, this is not employment -- its a services/consulting agreement.

Last edited by a moderator:

AdrianX

Aug 28, 2015
bitco.in
@theZerg You have my support.

BU if it is to survive into the future needs to be an organization that does not rely on charity, not referring to this BUIP or paying developers in general.

BU needs to be generating income that is correlated with the value of the work the organization produces.

BU's two strengths are software and research, and I'll add organizing conferences has had some success.

I'd very much like to see BU focus on those three things.

On the software side, the Articles of Association have a mechanism for generating such revenue via a mining pool.

However, to be effective, it should support Bitcoin (aka BCH, BSV and BTC)

The software being the topic of this BUIP. It seems BU has been at odds with the Bitcoin Core and Bitcoin ABC projects, and certain members have been at odds with nChains efforts.

I think if we're going to be an independent implementation managed according to BU principals in the Bitcoin ecosystem, we should be more dynamic and at least be in a position to support a pool mining, not just BCH but BSV and BTC.

We shouldn't be closing doors, but creating value behind the door we think has the most potential.

Last edited:
Reactions: torusJKL

theZerg

Staff member
Aug 28, 2015
@79b79aa8 yes

@AdrianX Thanks for your support. But I don't want to hijaack this BUIP discussion thread to talk about all the points you've raised here.

Reactions: AdrianX