BUIP071: (passed) Make Bitcoin Cash the "Release" Version of Bitcoin Unlimited

Peter R

Aug 28, 2015
BUIP 071: Make Bitcoin Cash the "Release" Version of Bitcoin Unlimited

On 1 August 2017, the Bitcoin blockchain bifurcated. For the purposes of this proposal, we will refer to the two resulting chains as Bitcoin Cash and Bitcoin Core. While both chains have blocks 0 to 478,558 in common, the blocks from height 478,559 and onward are specific to each chain. The hashes of blocks 478,559 end in ...191a5eec and ...dc7fa148 for Cash and Core, respectively.

Since the bifurcation event, Bitcoin Unlimited has maintained node software that tracked the Bitcoin Cash blockchain, as well as node software that tracked the Bitcoin Core blockchain. At the time of bifurcation, the "release version" of Bitcoin Unlimited -- maintained in the repository https://github.com/bitcoinunlimited/bitcoinunlimited -- was defined to track the Bitcoin Core chain; a special "Cash" release was defined to track the Bitcoin Cash chain.

With the failure of the NYA network upgrade scheduled for Block 494,784, it has become increasingly clear that the Bitcoin Core chain will not be able to grow to become a global peer-to-peer electronic cash system. To help facilitate the shift away from Bitcoin Core and towards Bitcoin Cash, this BUIP proposes to name Bitcoin Cash the "official blockchain" of Bitcoin Unlimited, and Bitcoin Core as a "supported blockchain."

Specifically, the following changes are proposed:
  • Refer to the two chains as Bitcoin Cash and Bitcoin Core in BU literature.
  • Rename the git branch presently labeled "BitcoinCash" as "Release."
  • Rename the git branch presently labeled "Release" as "BitcoinCore."
  • Update the download page on the BU website to change the heading "Official Bitcoin (BTC) Release" to "Bitcoin Core (BTC) Release."
  • Make other changes on the website and github repo to be consisent with the four points above.
Additionally, this BUIP, if passed, would give BU's Lead Developer the authority to provide a bespoke version of the "Bitcoin Core" branch for miners which creates empty SegWit blocks.

Conflict of Interest

The author holds a small position of Bitfinex BTU chain split tokens, the value of which could be affected by this proposal.

Last edited:

solex

Staff member
Aug 22, 2015
A welcome proposal recognising the reality on the ground of the onchain scaling situation.
Can we mention in the BUIP that the Developer should have authority to provide a bespoke version for miners which creates empty SegWit blocks on the core chain?
For logistical reasons may I suggest a shorter title?
"Make Bitcoin Cash the "Release" Version of BU, deprecating Bitcoin Core"

AdrianX

Aug 28, 2015
bitco.in
**Additionally, this BUIP, if passed, would give BU's Lead Developer the authority to provide a bespoke version of the "Bitcoin Core" branch** for miners which creates empty SegWit blocks.
Is this needed, miners are not even choosing BU to mine on the Bitcoin Cash chain as far as I know.

This doesn't need BU funding or approval does it? developers are free to do that on there own volition.

I imagine it is hard work to integrate Xthin, and parallel validation with Segwit so do miners need a BU implementation to mine empty Segwit blocks?

I think we should either support Segwit or not. as a separate BUIP, and discuss the various development options and weather or not to rebase off Core or BTC1.

With the failure of the NYA network upgrade scheduled for Block 494,784, it has become increasingly clear that the Bitcoin Core chain will not be able to grow to become a global peer-to-peer electronic cash system. To help facilitate the shift away from Bitcoin Core and towards Bitcoin Cash, this BUIP proposes to name Bitcoin Cash the "official blockchain" of Bitcoin Unlimited, and Bitcoin Core as a "deprecated blockchain."
I support this, however it can have an impact on the Gigblock test net project. BU and nChain have entered a mutual understanding: https://nchain.com/en/media/nchain-announces-technical-support-bitcoin-unlimited-client-software/

I don't expect any negative ramifications from this initiative as nChain employees have prepossessed a similar understanding and a dislike of the segregation of transaction signatures from the main bitcoin blcokchain.

I think its important to consider which implementation nChain wishes to provide technical support for before proceeding.

Reactions: torusJKL
Is this needed, miners are not even choosing BU to mine on the Bitcoin Cash chain as far as I know.

This doesn't need BU funding or approval does it? developers are free to do that on there own volition.

I imagine it is hard work to integrate Xthin, and parallel validation with Segwit so do miners need a BU implementation to mine empty Segwit blocks?

I think we should either support Segwit or not. as a separate BUIP, and discuss the various development options and weather or not to rebase off Core or BTC1.

I support this, however it can have an impact on the Gigblock test net project. BU and nChain have entered a mutual understanding: https://nchain.com/en/media/nchain-announces-technical-support-bitcoin-unlimited-client-software/

I don't expect any negative ramifications from this initiative as nChain employees have prepossessed a similar understanding and a dislike of the segregation of transaction signatures from the main bitcoin blcokchain.

I think its important to consider which implementation nChain wishes to provide technical support for before proceeding.
Agree. It's hard to completely understand this quote. Is it that BU developers should have the task to create a special node version, which updates to be able to mine Bitcoin Core blocks, but without transactions?

If so, I don't like this idea too much. It just creates animosity and burns bridges with Bitcoin Core fans.

torusJKL

Nov 30, 2016
  • Refer to the two chains as Bitcoin Cash and Bitcoin Core in BU literature.
  • Rename the git branch presently labeled "BitcoinCash" as "Release."
  • Rename the git branch presently labeled "Release" as "BitcoinCore."
  • Update the download page on the BU website to change the heading "Official Bitcoin (BTC) Release" to "Deprecated Bitcoin Core (BTC) Release."
I don't think the name "Bitcoin Core" is well chosen.
There are still multiple implementations that are compatible with it and not only the one from the Core repository. E.g. Bitcoin Knots. :)

I think the name should reflect what the network tries to achieve.
For example Bitcoin Cash wants to be P2P electronic cash, hence its name.

SegWit has been introduced to create a settlement layer.
Thus I would regard Bitcoin Settlement or Bitcoin SegWit more fitting names than Bitcoin Core.