bitco.in/news

Bloomie

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 19, 2015
Tossing this idea around. It could be staffed by volunteers or paid writers. What do you guys think?

Reactions: cybrbeast

okae

Sep 29, 2015
Ofc that is a good thing for your site, have an url with news is very useful, definitely you should include it ;)

also hi all on my first comment here on this forum!

Bagatell

Aug 28, 2015
It didn't work well on cyptocrypt and was eventually abandoned. Too much work for not enough views.

humanitee

Sep 7, 2015
I think the forum should just have a news section where we can aggregate news from around the bitsphere, in much the same way bitcointalk does.

I could finally get entirely off r/bitcoin if that were the case. r/bitcoinxt doesn't get nearly the amount of stories that r/bitcoin gets. For now I'd be fine with just straight up copying most of the articles off r/bitcoin until we gained more traction. At least I could discuss them here without empowering the censor.

I'm not into copying articles in r/bitcoinxt because I'm not for the r/bitcoinxt subreddit. I want to talk about all Bitcoin news and the name alone will turn people off.

SockPuppet

Sep 29, 2015
I'm in the same position as humanitee. I came here to get off r/bitcoin, but have realised I read r/bitcoin more to hear about the latest new innovations, improvements, inventions and products/kickstarters/lighthouses, and to discuss those rather than bitcoin itself. So the forum as it stands isn't a replacement for r/bitcoin.

Some attempt at aggregating news is more important than adding forum journalism.

Bloomie

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 19, 2015
@SockPuppet so what do you suggest, just aggregating headlines from Coindesk and a few other sources and opening the snippets up to comments?

SockPuppet

Sep 29, 2015
I avoided suggesting anything because I don't want to pretend I know the answers. Automated aggregation of headlines from Coindesk would be an interesting experiment.

I guess my suggestion would be to have a place that encourages the posting of any interesting development that people come across via other bitcoin hubs. And perhaps seed it somehow, r/bitcoin spies, Coindesk, whatever works.

I think there are two different kinds of bitcoin news: current events, and new inventions/software/products. It would be nice to have them split, but it might not be practical - it will depend on whether new threads get created in drips or a torrent. r/Bitcoin seemed to work fine with everything jumbled together.

Bloomie

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 19, 2015
We do encourage creation of new threads to discuss news and current events in the Bitcoin Discussion section. For comprehensive news coverage, we would need dedicated staff (paid or volunteer). Aggregation could be done via a script, although that's not the best for SEO, because it's essentially duplicate content from other sites, and Google's very good at detecting that.

JVWVU

Oct 10, 2015
As Bagatell stated it is very hard and cumbersome to get this started. I visit Reddit/Bitcoin 2 to 3 times a day now but hardly click anything to read.

Twitter has become my go to but stop in here to follow a few guys who post here with stuff above my knowledge skills and abilities