[ACCEPTING BIDS] Create website to show network blocksize limits as expressed by user-agent strings

Peter R

Aug 28, 2015
I would like to commission someone to make a simple website that shows a real-time version of these two charts:

The upper chart is simply the "integral" of the lower chart.

There would also be a "LEARN MORE" button that would open a static page that explains the two charts (that I will write).

Use the following rules for determining a node's block size limit:

1. If the node is an Unlimited node, read the block size limit from the user-agent string (refer to BUIP005) for details. If no block size limit is specified for an Unlimited node, assume 16 MB.

2. If the node is a Classic node, assume 2 MB.

3. If the node is an XT node, assume 8 MB.

4. If the node is something else, assume 1 MB.

The deliverables would be:

1. A webpage that I can open and confirm that it works (hosting not required).

2. A public GitHub repo that contains any source code required to make changes to the webpage.

Where to start:

I think the work of @hellobitc0inworld with XTNodes.com is a good start, as he is already reading the user-agent strings with his webpage.

Perks:

You can put a label like "webpage designed by <your name or business>" and a link if you want.

How to bid:

Place your bid in this thread, along with a brief description of your qualifications and/or links to your other relevant work.

Last edited:

Richy_T

Dec 27, 2015
Are you wanting to contact the nodes and pull the useragents yourself or just screen-scrape bitnodes?

Peter R

Aug 28, 2015
Whatever is easiest, so probably screen scrape bitnodes. I wonder what xtnodes.com does?

hellobitc0inworld

Dec 24, 2015
I will be making a graph like this for XTnodes.com (soon to be re-branded as NodeCounter.com to be more generalized and support all Bitcoin implementations).

I was actually waiting for confirmation of the final Bitcoin Unlimited user-agent formatting, so I could begin coding it. Hard to code when that part isn't finalized (or maybe it is and I just am unaware).

Completion date just depends on my availability. Probably within the next week or so.

YarkoL

Dec 18, 2015
Tuusula
yarkol.github.io
Peter R said:
1. If the node is an Unlimited node, read the block size limit from the user-agent string (refer toBUIP005) for details. If no block size limit is specified for an Unlimited node, assume 16 MB.
16 MB is the default, so if user hasn't specified anything (hopefully they will), it will show in the user-agent string in the candidate implementation.

I was actually waiting for confirmation of the final Bitcoin Unlimited user-agent formatting, so I could begin coding it. Hard to code when that part isn't finalized (or maybe it is and I just am unaware).
I believe the PR has already been reviewed by @theZerg and now we are only waiting for the formal vote.

theZerg

Staff member
Aug 28, 2015
Yes @solex should schedule a vote on this and other BUIPs soon.

Members online