1 month trigger?

jl777

Feb 26, 2016
http://pastebin.com/9JAeinPF

the above is convo between some chinese miners and they thing the 1 month timelimit in classic is insanely bad.

can somebody explain the context of this?

If classic can do things sanely and actually listen to miners, users, exchanges, then that is best.

So why 1 month? and what is it? and can it be changed?

sickpig

Aug 28, 2015
https://github.com/bitcoin/bips/blob/master/bip-0109.mediawiki#activation-75-hashpower-support-trigger-followed-by-28-day-grace-period

Activation: 75% hashpower support trigger, followed by 28-day 'grace period'
Solo miners or mining pool operators express their support for this BIP by setting the fourth-highest-bit in the block's 32-bit version number (0x10000000 in hex). The first block with that bit set, a timestamp less than or equal to the expiration time, and with at least 750 out of 1000 blocks preceding it (with heights H-1000..H-1) with that bit set, shall define the beginning of a grace period. Blocks with timestamps greater than or equal to the triggering block's timestamp plus 28 days (60*60*24*28 seconds) shall be subject to the new limits.

As always, miners are expected to use their best judgement for what is best for the entire Bitcoin ecosystem when making decisions about what consensus-level changes to support.

Reactions: freetrader

jl777

Feb 26, 2016
ok, but why a 28 day trigger? what is the typical time? why are the miners saying it is a disaster and amateur move?

solex

Staff member
Aug 22, 2015
@jl777
Miners aren't complaining, it is Blockstream dev complaining because they want any excuse to make the 2MB look bad.
Their complaint is baseless hyperbole.

Classic locks in 2MB at 75%, but allows for a grace period so that miners and users who have not upgraded will do so, once they see the writing on the wall.
This is a "nice to have" it makes the whole process safer. 75% alone is good enough for PoW consensus (more than Satoshi's 50+%). If the grace period is too long then many miners will sit back and do nothing making the initial 75% target hard to reach.

Reactions: freetrader

Gavin Andresen

Dec 9, 2015
28 days came from asking miners, merchants, and users how long it would take them to upgrade.

Nobody said more than 14 days (most people said a week is plenty of time), so I doubled it to 28.

If you see somebody saying 28 day grace period is insane, ask THEM how long it will take them to upgrade.

There ARE people running full nodes but not paying any attention to what their full node is doing, but they are doing the network more harm than good, and we shouldn't be worried about them getting dropped off the network until they wake up and upgrade.

donald26

Feb 2, 2024
HOW YOU CAN RECOVER YOUR LOST CRYPTO/FUNDS: Lost hope in a crypto scam? I got my $394,330 back! I invested $430,000 in a bogus crypto site. Big returns promised, withdrawals blocked, extra fees demanded – it was a nightmare. Feeling trapped, I even considered the unthinkable. My family helped me through it, and my niece suggested HACKERSTEVE911. They'd helped her with grades, but I'd never thought of them for this. I contacted them, expecting little. But within four days, they recovered $394,330 back to my wallet! My hope, my life, was back. If you're in a similar situation, don't lose hope. Contact them on hackersteve911@gmail.com

Shahadatkhan00

Jan 28, 2024
Ready to say goodbye to centralized finance? Stake $UP on TonTogether's #TonUp Launchpad and embrace the decentralized revolution. By securing your stake of the 100M $TOT tokens, you're actively participating in shaping a financial system that is by the people, for the people. Join our movement: https://go.tonup.io/GldKvG #TogetherTON #Tot #TON #web3 #Crypto

jakabasej4

Oct 3, 2023
28 days came from asking miners, merchants, and users how long it would take them to upgrade.

Nobody said more than 14 days (most people said a week is plenty of time), so I doubled it to 28.

If you see somebody saying 28 day grace period is insane, ask THEM how long it will take them to upgrade.

There ARE people running full nodes but not paying any attention to what their full node is doing, but they are doing the network more harm than good, and we shouldn't be worried about them getting dropped off the network until they wake up and upgrade.
Thanks for sharing the rationale behind the 28-day grace period!

jakabasej4

Oct 3, 2023
Ready to say goodbye to centralized finance? Stake $UP on TonTogether's #TonUp Launchpad and embrace the decentralized revolution. https://eldfall-chronicles.com/product/2x-gargoyles/ By securing your stake of the 100M $TOT tokens, you're actively participating in shaping a financial system that is by the people, for the people. Join our movement: https://go.tonup.io/GldKvG #TogetherTON #Tot #TON #web3 #Crypto
It sounds like TonTogether's #TonUp Launchpad is offering an opportunity to be part of the decentralized finance movement by staking $UP tokens and securing a stake of the $TOT tokens.