BUIP109: (passed) Andrew Stone for Developer

theZerg

Staff member
Aug 28, 2015
BUIP109: Andrew Stone for Developer
Submitted by Andrew Stone
30 December 2018

I would like your vote for a second term as the Bitcoin Unlimited Developer. I have technically steered BU through some years that have seen amazing changes in the crypto community, and my and BU's efforts have been central to many of them. Most notably we technically led a large block movement which achieved approximately 50% hash power and we proposed the fork that became Bitcoin Cash. BU has innovated many key technologies (and one's role as Developer is to encourage, nurture, and review, and sometimes contribute to external work, more than it is making personal contributions -- any person can individually contribute) such as Xthin, Xpedited, Graphene, an efficient block candidate (mining) interface, blocksdb and many more features. BU has also made innumerable important "caretaking" improvements to the code, off the top of my head: code formatting standards, automated formatting, logging, cleaner locking, useful RPC calls, breaking up large files/routines, large additions to the QA and test suites, significantly improved fuzz testing, and much more.

Personally, I have made specific larger technical contributions like communications traffic shaping, the emergent consensus algorithm, Xpedited forwarding, Group tokenization, OP_DATASIGVERIFY, and massive optimization of the transaction processing path. I also have several proposals in the works which are mostly available in via my medium account. To illuminate my detailed daily work, according to Github I have added 45,973 lines and removing 25,230, not including "merge commits". This is therefore my personal work and does not include my official work as Developer (reviewing and merging others' contributions). I have also engaged the larger community in critical reviews of other work which has helped push blockchain technology forward.

Thanks for your consideration. Please feel free to ask any questions in comments to this BUIP and I'll be happy to respond.

Andrew

solex

Staff member
Aug 22, 2015
Good to see your application @theZerg.
Note, I added the header lines.

torusJKL

Nov 30, 2016
Thanks for your application @theZerg.

I think under your suppervision BU has set multiple new standards (e.g. faster block propagation and parallelization) which will help Bitcoin to grow to ever bigger blocks.
Unfortunately, BU was not able to get a majority hash to get behind said improvements up until now.

For your next term could you please specify what direction you think BU should go in the future and where you will set the development priorities?

Thanks!

Reactions: Norway

theZerg

Staff member
Aug 28, 2015
Yes, we are a minority hash power client of cryptos whose majority clients listen to nobody. So the reality is that BU has no ability to determine hard fork contents for BCH (or SV or BTC).

I intend to continue to push the technology forward in two ways:
1. focusing on forkless changes
2. presenting fork-required ideas and providing a reference implementation. These ideas may then be taken and merged or possibly reworked by the majority client of some cryptocurrency (as happened with the DSV/CDS opcode).

I do not want this discussion to be about particular ideas, but to get a general picture, you can see many of my proposals in my writings here: https://medium.com/@g.andrew.stone